Our animals are acting very strange....Help?

Oh I am glad you posted this, I was beginning to get worried about ours too. We live in Idaho and the rooster has been crowing almost non-stop for two days. I am sure the neighbors will be complaining soon. The hens are acting like they are starving and refuse to lay. The ducks have been talking up a storm and are picking on each other. The goats won't shut up and they have been in the field and they just stare at the house and cry. The real weird thing here is the dog has calmed down alot and I am totally surprised as he is normally a real spaz. The house cat is completely fine and the outside kitty is continually making me trip over her and following me around. We finally let her in as she seems completely nuts.
big_smile.png

Gotta love my animals!!!

Mine are acting normal for a dip in weather temps. They are hyper, running around, and eating more to put on weight for the winter. I see it every year. It's nothing abnormal. Now poultry killing each other I dunno. This is my first winter with chickens so maybe it is normal for them when winter starts to show. If they are all really acting hungry I might throw them something higher protein and fat because they are probably looking for a higher energy food source to help them deal with the increased demands both from more activity and having to heat themselves. I start throwing the odd bale of hay or black oil sunflower seeds to my horses at this time of year and by november the pasture is dying and they get switched over completely to just hay and boss or oats. Our fluffy dogs love the cold. My mom's dog will spend an entire day laying out in snow drift in below 0 temps. So of course they get more active now than during the hot days of summer.

i think it may be a natural instinct type thing..maybe they sense a hard winter coming..(they usually can), and just like the wild animals they are preparing..eating alot....being more aggressive(survival of the fitest type thing..)..etc..but since they are domestic animals..they show it diifferantly..?...
hu.gif
..maybe?

Back
Top Bottom