Our Beautiful Zane is Gone. RIP, My Angel with Barred Wings

Cyn, so very sorry to hear this. He was such a beautiful boy. Whoever says chickens DON'T have personalities are from another planet.
RIP Zane. I know you're in pain over this...just remember we are here for you.

Thank you, Sue. The light in his eyes, the warmth, the love (you'd believe that if you saw it), the way he seemed to wink at me, the way he'd thump up to the front of the cage when I opened the door if he was really wanting to go outside, the way he'd throw himself against my chest for a hug, etc. We both will miss him so much. There is a HUGE hole here that will never be filled. Zane was one in a million.

Sorry, Cyn. Have been reading your posts about your flock ever since you posted the shot of your girls hanging out on the porch steps. Glad that you and Zane had as much `luck' as you did for as long as you did.

So, so sorry for your loss!
hit.gif
Though I never had the opportunity to meet him in person, from your stories and pictures, I could tell he was a very special and very cherished bird. I hope time and sweet memories will comfort the pain in your heart...
hugs.gif

hit.gif
Please excuse my blathering, crying and what's not. I was in tears when I saw this message but thankfully he made it this far. He has had a very good life and you and your husband are to be thanked for. I am so sorry for your loss but glad you shared him with us, his beginnings with Hawkeye, growing up years, being a good boy, getting thru the mess of his handicap and rallied all the way to the bank.

Now you can count on Zane's daughter to carry on the legacy. Any chance of getting offsprings to pass the banner?

I have never incubated any of Panda's eggs. I'm not sure I will. They'd be fertile by my Delaware rooster, Isaac, and though I adore Panda, I'm not sure I really want that, even as fond as I am of Ike. He's a good rooster, but it wouldn't be the same.

This morning was odd without the third big voice in the rooster chorus. We'll adjust to his absence eventually, but we'll never forget him. Thanks for letting me cry on your shoulders yesterday, my BYC family.

We always wondered how long Zane would live, with low stress, not having to care for hens, etc. He never had lice/mites, in spite of not being able to dust bathe-we saw to that by making sure he was periodically dusted with DE or putting him in a dust hole and artificially putting dirt in his feathers. He never had a crop issue, though he ate Knockout grains as his main source of food most of his life-we made sure he had grit in the bowl if he couldn't get out on the ground to get it for himself. We kept his spurs and nails and beak trimmed since he couldn't do it naturally. He just had no muscle mass and always had to lay on his chest. Could be he lived twice as long as he normally would have, in his circumstances. Hard to say. But he was loved and he knew it.

Last edited:
Cyn, I saw your message on the revived thread.....I dont know why I brought it back up but there was something there that I had to ask if Zane was OK because I did sense something was not right. Can't put my finger on it. Like a predemotion (know when to expect) kind of thing. I've had this kind of "weird" vibes from something like that, could be animals or people, something is going to happen. Could it be ESP? I have NO idea but many times, I would just push those thoughts away, thinking it will not happen near future but just about 70% of the time, it does happen within a week to a month, no longer. This time it has happened to Zane. I wished I hadn't brought the old thread alive but I HAD to know whats up with Zane and get the reassurance from you that he was just fine. It has been nagging me from time to time something isn't right. Now Zane is gone, the dread feeling is gone too. At least he is in chicken heaven!

Last edited:
It was odd timing, to be sure, but he was fine, right up until literally a few seconds before he passed on, at least as far as anyone could tell. He crowed maybe 4-5 times less than an hour before, and I even commented on it to Tom, called out my usual, "You tell 'em, Zane!".

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom