Our Flock, trying to decide who stays and who goes. Who would you pick and why? :-)

McPhersonFarm

Songster
7 Years
Jan 18, 2013
Fort White, FL
Ok, so chicken math took serious hold over the last couple of years and I really am trying to downsize but I'm having a difficult time. I thought I would post on here to get some feedback to see what everyone thinks. I know we all have opinions and I am hoping for a few people to share theirs with me! The following are what I have and I'm trying to decide what to keep and what goes. I have just sold the last of my turkeys this weekend so they are gone. I'm wanting to sell my ducks (I have Pekin and some mixed pretty colored ones) as I had a buyer for their eggs who hasn't been buying lately so I have tons of duck eggs!

Non Chickens
Ducks
1 male peacock (I really wanted him cause he's so pretty and have a peachick coming up and I'm looking for a peahen)
Wheaten Maran Flock
Black Java Flock
White Java Flock
Frizzle Bantam Cochins
Frizzle Easter Eggers
Orange Sizzle Roo with Millie Fleur Hen
White Crested Black Polish - 2 pens one is blue black splash the other white crested blue and white crested black (some frizzles)
Blue and Splash Ameraucana
Tolbunt Polish
Blue Wheaten Ameraucana
White Leghorn
Porcelain D'Uccle
Partridge Bantam Cochin
Bantam Barred Rock
Rhodebar
Brown Leghorn
French Black Copper Maran
Blue Copper Maran
Turkens
Key West Gypsy Chickens
Calico Bantam Cochin

Also have Coturnix Quail, Button Quail, Goats, Potbelly Pigs, and a couple of pet Rabbits...

Soooo what would stay and what would go if you could help me choose and why!

Thanks everyone!

you could sell the black javas for a very good price, but i would also keep some because they are so pretty!
smile.png

That's the hard part they're all pretty! I have pretty much downsized to main flocks so like 3-4 hens 1-2 roos of each kind already except for my polish... Hmmmm

You need to answer some questions for yourself:

why are you downsizing? Expense, space, time....what's the main reason?

What is your favorite breed? your last breed, the one single breed you'd keep if you had to smuggle them into your house. Only one breed here, and it gets a pass from elimination.

Why are you keeping birds? Eggs, meat, to sell chicks, eye candy, pest control, manure production, etc.

What size of flock do you want? When I am sorting stuff to get rid of it, first I take out the stuff that don't fit....(I am thinking clothes, but some chickens don't fit either with egg production or socialization in the flock) then I pick the ones I am going to keep, you know which ones those are.

It is that middle group that can be hard...... usually I count them up and divide in half, half gets to stay, half goes.

Works for me:

Personally, I think I would keep the first three flocks and all else would go, except maybe the rabbits. I like them.

Mrs K

Ditto on...... What are your goals/reasons for keeping birds?

...and what kind of facilities do you have? How many birds do you have adequate housing for?

Back
Top Bottom