Our girls won't eat layer pellets and act like they are starving all the time

But they act like they are starving every time i walk out the door they are rushing towards me for food. I Just worry about their well being they are more like pets than a food source. Of course none of them have a name except for the rooster LOL
They are chickens. That's what they do. Relax. The only other question I have that might have a bearing on what you are seeing is this: How old is that feed? If it's old, or rancid, that might be a possible issue. If it's fairly fresh, not an issue. let them eat bugs.

I bought it approx. 2 weeks ago 50lb bag and it stays in my house because i dont want the field mice getting in it or giving them more reason to get in my shed The joys of having 35 acres of which 24 is wooded still.

But they act like they are starving every time i walk out the door they are rushing towards me for food. I Just worry about their well being they are more like pets than a food source. Of course none of them have a name except for the rooster LOL
My girls do the same thing, If they hear the door hinge squeak, they come running to that corner of the pen. You are their best friend. My girls are happy and healthy, give me an egg each day. They have 500 square feet for 5 hens. They eat grass and bugs. They eat less feed when it's hot and a more when it's cold.
When I first built that large pen and let them out of the coop at sunrise till sunset daily, the feed consumption dropped 75 to 80 percent. Yea. GC

I also add water to make pellets soft. Especially in winter great with hot water. I use a good quality hot drinking water, so I can get a good eggs.

I also encourage them eat grass and bugs a lot. A special thing is I made a small earthworm garden in backyard. There I feed with food scrap after chickens eat first, such as fruit skin peels rotten fruit, veggie, and leaves, but this area is covered with card boards and woods so protected, but sometimes I open it then chickens have a happy feast.

Last edited:
My chicken is molting, and won't eat the pellets, in fact I had to separate her,due to her sisters picking at her. Please help, I don't know what to do. I gave her boiled eggs to help with the protein.

oh no! what is it in crumbles or grower that can't be fed to layers or makes the eggs where they can't be eaten for 2 weeks? because I have done both? I am new to the chicken game and my girls would not eat the pellets either and I have two that stared laying and two that were almost ready to lay so I mixed some grower feed with some pellets and got some crumbles, added some scratch and made my own mixture and they all were happy and looking great and now one of the others has started to lay. I also have been eating the eggs!
hu.gif

oh no!  what is it in crumbles or grower that can't be fed to layers or makes the eggs where they can't be eaten for 2 weeks?  because I have done both?  I am new to the chicken game and my girls would not eat the pellets either and I have two that stared laying and two that were almost ready to lay so I mixed some grower feed with some  pellets and got some crumbles, added some scratch and made my own mixture and they all were happy and looking great and now one of the others has started to lay.  I also have been eating the eggs!  :confused:
There is nothing wrong with grower or crumbles. Grower is just higher protein, crumbles is the same as pellets, only broken up more. You can eat those eggs. Mine have always eaten grower and crumbles.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom