Our introduction to keeping chickens, the high's, the lows and pics of our journey.

OK, so our second hatch, all going strong. Only concern after Day 2 was a curly toe, which a close inspection of looks like cannot be repaired as the 'bend' is at the knuckle. I am getting ahead of myself though.

So, we set 18 in a staggered hatch, 7 clears, 12 hatched. Only two of these have been named. Now 2 weeks old.

Black 'lorp, suspect roo

Another black 'lorp...also a suspect roo

3rd and final black 'lorp, pretty certain he is a he.

This little Lavender Araucan (Aus version of the breed) is Jewel. The most friendly of them all.

This L/A is from the same hatch, same folks.

L/A no. 3

This L/A is named Baby. Sad story, but the short version is that through the hatch-a-long we were involved with, another BYCer (Wrightsx4) lost a family favorite bird, called Baby. It was sad, and our last little bird to hatch was very small, weak and needed a little bit of help. We were very worried about it. We called it baby in the other families honor. Still going well, although smaller than the other 11.

This L/A is a dentist (lol, aussie joke)

A Barnevelder, sus roo, no curly toe

BV no.2, curly toe on right foot

SPW no. 1

SPW no.2

Sorry for so many pictures, these little ones are not so keen on having their photo taken!

They all look so healthy and cared for - Awww! And Baby looks so sweet! So happy your family wanted to call him/her Baby. I'm trying to figure out our roos too at two weeks old, a few are obvious. Looking at your pics BA #3 I agree really looks rooish. #1 has very dainty legs/feet so hoping for you it's a pullet. They can be tricky - my BA Betty looked much like a roo - tail, posture, comb, bossy- until about 12 weeks when she lost those first tail feathers.
I'm sure all of us that have read your whole story have no doubt of your persistence to make your dreams happen. Your boys are learning important lessons without even knowing it. They may not understand everything that has happened but I'm sure they see your perseverance.

Thanks Pam.

We do our best with what we have at hand, kind of fit's my life in general really!

We have no doubt's with BA 3, but the other two also have developed combs. I really hope you're right though as we would love to have two ladies of each breed, although that is only a preference, not a necessity.

I was expecting the LA's to be further behind in development, but they have nice tail sprouts and tail length wing feathers already. Keenly watching the feathering patterns of each breed. It was pretty clear with the last chicks as they feathered out in different ways between breeds and sex's. Over the next week or two I think we will see the same patterns again. That should give us another early sexing sign.

Some of those production breeds show up their combs quite early. My NH and RIR did. I thought for sure the two NH were boys because they had the combs. AND my RIR roo... thought he was a girl. Even took him to the vet for a gizzard inflamation and thought he was a pullet... Hold on...

Here he was ill, about 12 weeks old. A bunch of my other pullet in with him, had nearly the same wattle and comb development... I guess I shouldn't have compared him to the leghorns girls.. LOL

AND THEN... I took this pic and was like... DUDE! How stupid am I!? It's a boy! LOL He's was about 15 weeks here. Yeah... that guick. LOL.

Last edited:
We also have Charles, who originally was Charlotte. Spent today assembling the mini coop which was my bday present. It will be my grow out coop for the chicks but also be useful as a breed separation pen and bachelor pad. We still need to divide the pen after we move the east wall to make it bigger, and pur the inside fence underneath, which will be removable so they can dustbathe in a spot that will stay dry. Lots of recycled stuff in this project- including the big stump posts it's bolted to! (We water sealed and tarred the bottoms).

Back
Top Bottom