Our introduction to keeping chickens, the high's, the lows and pics of our journey.

Bens-Hens

Songster
6 Years
Jan 29, 2013
Perth, Western Australia
Hi all,

My name is Ben. As a family we decided we would make a few changes around home and make a bit more effort to be 'green' We planned for chooks, but also started a worm farm, veggie patch, herb garden, composting and working the natural path over the enhanced path.

Please, if your interested, sit back and enjoy a read, it most likely won't be short, we have learned much, and after learning so much from this forum, I thought I would share our experience.

I should warn, many experience owners will see our mistakes and think "that was not a good idea" or "I would not have done it that way" We are very new to this and only got our first chickens in October 2012.

Starting green also meant starting cheap hahaha, I didn't want to spend large amounts of money, so everything below is home made, and most of it is from free material I either had or was given. Well, it was up to a certain point, but I will get to that later.

We started with a coupe, a old trailer frame from a paddock. 1200mmx2400mm

I had some old tin at home. I wanted something suitable for about 4 chickens. We can have 6 (no roosters) but we didn't want to cram them in there. I wanted to be able to close them up at night, but open a door and let them roam during the day. This is some progress shots of what I cobbled together.

The floor was salvaged from two old pallets.

Then inside, the nesting box was made by a friend as a trade for some old Army gear I had that I no longer needed after leaving the Australian Army. Fair trade! We have since put a lid on top with a cut out in the rear.

That was phase one, so we then had to go pick up our chickens. We bought/rescued four Isa Browns from a local egg farm here in Perth. Compared to cage birds they were in good condition, but certainly not ideal. We were on our way!

Each of our family members named one, meet Rhonda, Olivia, Noodles and Nugget.

This was Noodles, day 2.

Of the four birds, we got three eggs in the first couple of days, the first normal, and then two 'rough' ones, then no more. We were told they were in moult and would be off laying, as well as a change in food and environment.

It took until December until we had another one. Very happy to see a nice brown smooth egg, 69g! The kids were over the moon! Even layed it in the nest :)

One day, Nugget didn't look too good, so we left her in the shade with some food and water, but by the afternoon one of the boys ran up to tell us there was an emergency. Nugget had died. We were not sure of the cause, we had her for about a month or two. We had been told these high intensity type birds can be prone to this so we never had a necropsy done. Just buried her in our front garden. Our boys introduction to loosing a pet. We later suspect what she died of.

After about a week, we found a local lady selling some wonderful coloured birds, we ended up buying;
1x Caramel Rhode Island Red x Blue Austrolorpe called Latte', (approx 17 weeks)
1x Golden Laced Wynadotte we called Mocha, (approx 17 weeks)
1x Silver Laced Wynadotte we called Pepper. (approx 14 weeks)

After much reading on here we made a secondary temporary pen, and brought the little pullets in there with all the creature comforts. The older birds free ranged around the pen and all seemed well.

Latte'

Mocha

and little Pepper the day we got her

Day 2 digging into some grower crumble. We were very proud!

While the younger birds were in their pen, I decided to upgrade the run, some the renovation began.
We made a fence to contain them when we had visitors, added some wire and planted two Passionfruit vines. Also posted in some coppers logs and hung a 3m shade sail, then topped it off with a little gate.

We still let them roam the yard, but had more control of it. We would let the little birds roam in the morning while the older ones were closed up and slowly introduced the two groups. Worked well with no unexpected fuss.

Also made some internal changes, adding a bigger roost (which I had to train the birds to use), concrete floor to make cleaning easier.

Life was good, and Sunday morning had never been better.Getting one egg a day.

Then we spotted a cat in the yard, stalking the younger chooks while on free range. After a watchful few days, we actually had 4 cats now visiting our yard...and non cat proof chicken run. After much deliberation, we decided to enclose our run. I didn't have the needed materials, so we had to buy it. There goes the 'free' theory!

We have decked it out as best we know, and keep them in there most of the day unless we are outside to keep an eye on them. Here is a few shots of the current run as of this morning. Notice the chickens like Passionfruit hahahaha we have gone through a few protective measures to try keep those vines alive long enough for them to stand a chance!

The outside entertainment area!

Extra shade

Here is Rhonda and Noodles, full of feathers and looking healthy, but still not laying.

and here is Latte' and Mocha, nearly full sized.

Here unfortunately, it all takes a turn for the worse.

Little Pepper began to shows the same signs as Nugget did about two weeks after worming. My wife loves her so much this time we decided to take her to the Avian vet on the second day.

We showed him the photo's, he had a look at her and says that he is almost 100% confident the little SLW has a disease called Marek's Disease. He gives us some information and we come straight home to make her comfortable and hit google.

We are devastated to learn about this, and how our flock most defiantly all have it and that the ground we have is most certainly infected with it and that there is little hope for Pepper, or any other bird that shows symptoms.

We believe the rescue birds had been vaccinated, but the new pullets were not (see, you experienced people were right further up the page!

Pepper showed the classic signs, after all the research I had done, I had never heard of it, and honestly it really has put a damper on our experience.

I took photo's to share with the vet, but I will also put them here for those un-knowing, like we were.

She was very reluctant to leave the coupe, so we separated her from the others, she would put her head up, gasp and close her eyes

She also began to walk on the top of her left foot, as we learned, the paralysis was setting in. This got worse over the next day.

I will spare the image of her poop, but the uriates (?) was a yellow and not white, which the vet said was liver issues.

We had very little hope, we tried to find everything we could on helping her, even though it was and still is grim.

We found the St Johns Wort theory, and for the sake of a few dollars we tried it, with no improvement what so ever. We called the vet today with some questions.
Can she recover or are we prolonging the inevitable? He said that in some cases, their immune system can fight the virus, and they can recover to some degree. How much depends on what nerve damage is done and how long it has been. His words were "if she does not turn the corner in the next day or so you need to consider culling it" SO there was some hope, but it was slim.

If she does go into remission, will her leg get better? He said "Yes, but better is a scale of varying degree's, if the swelling in her nervous system goes down fast enough, she could gain, some or much of her leg use back, but the longer the damage is there, the less likely she will be able to use her leg again." The later, "if she is still fighting it, and you want to spend the time nursing her, go for it, all is not lost yet, but be prepared that a full recovery is very rare"

We have her in a little ICU at home and are going to give her another day or so before considering culling her.

As for the future, we want to keep chickens for sure, but how we go about cleaning our land (if it's even possible) before starting again once this flock has lived it life, or if we can still add to the flock and accept the loss rate I don't know. It is still early days and I am still reading all I can about how manage a flock and land with this history.

Thanks for reading, I will be sure to keep this updated, firstly with Peppers progress and secondly with how we look after our flock.

Cheers, Ben and family.

Last edited:
We have had a few little cockerel crows the past couple of days from the NH, but nothing yet from the Ausrtralorp, or suspect Silkie or Wylkie. They are growing so much. I will have to get some pictures of their 11th week. They spend the afternoons free ranging with the main flock where they have the most space to interact. So far, everyone seems to get along. Still a bit too early to join them full time though. WHen I run out of places to move the mobile coop it will be time, so many another week.

Averaging nearly a dozen eggs a day, last week we sold 8 dozen (a few eggs were left from the week before) but some average weather this week has maybe impacted on a slightly lower number. We now have a steady stream of buyers that all seem very happy with our eggs. A great help towards the feed bill.

To my other hobby, I was greatly helped by use of a pacer, he did a wonderful job of keeping me where I needed to be. For anyone following along who is interested in more detail of my race I wrote a race report to share with my other running mates. It was the best way I could think of to thank my pacer. I will bang it in quotes so you can skip it if you like, not remotely chicken related and kind of crazy long!

42.2km was not easy to surmise!

Quote:
Alicia, Megan and I in the recovery area.

Last edited:
I have read that rats could do this sort of thing, but I have never seen one here.

The kids spotted a tiny mouse once, so I went and bought traps to keep around the feed bins (wheelie bins) and to date we have only caught one mouse, and never seen another.

Where, I have seen our chickens peck another on the roost until it moves away. At night they put themselves to bed and sort it all out before it gets dark. That particular night, it was full dark by them time they were put on the roost. That and the proximity to where the two top hens sleep.

I would think a cat did it around here before a rat, maybe it's because of the cats I don't see any rats!

Anyway, it's can't be changed now, she's gone. At least Alicia has calmed down. She has never liked those Rocks, especially the one that lays uneven shells all the time.

I would be happy to share some of my marans eggs with you and Alicia if you ever decide you would like to try again.

Next time hubby is in Perth I'll stash some eggs in his hand luggage. Here are some Anzac Day pics I thought you might like Ben.

Yes, you all seem so welcoming.
It's funny how easily a couple chickens turns into "I want (need) more". I told DH a couple years ago that I wanted to be responsible for more of our own food, I already garden and wanted to add chickens, but since they weren't allowed in our subdivision, we made plans to sell and get more property.
Last September we found 2.5 ac and haven't regretted a minute of it. In March we ordered a coop, bought 6 chicks (2 polish, 2 BA's and 2 EE). Went to a poultry swap a couple weeks later and fell in love with a buff Orpington. So, as soon as the coop was delivered, the older ones moved in and the buffies got the garage. Everyone is happy and healthy and those buffies are so sweet that when one of my neighbors asked if I'd be selling eggs, I took it as a sign and ordered some different colored Orpingtons. (Had to, the feed stores were out of chicks)!!! They are coming from a breeder, and grogel is supposed to be included.
I can't wait to be getting my own practice eggs, but in the meantime, thanks for letting me live vicariously through your stories!
Jill

Yes big hardware store, toy shop for men. Possum pee is like syrup in consistency , certainly ' on the nose '.

In one of my previous cities, the local hardware store had a 'ladies night' during the holiday season, they had wine and appetizers and all the ladies could look at the list that their hubbies had filled out and staff was on site to help them pick out just the item that was on the list. I thought this was a brilliant marketing idea ;)

Last edited:
We were pretty confident for some time it was a he, but the lack of colour gave us a bit of doubt recently. Still has not crowed but as Fancy says, a lack of tail at this age is a pretty good indicator too.

The race was pretty good, it was a 12.5km lap course (so I had to do 4 laps for the 50k, the 100k did 8) I got as high as 4th but slowed right down in the last lap and finished 6th. Ran 50k (just over 31 miles) in 4 hours 10 minutes, average pace of 4:58 minutes per km (about 8 minutes per mile) My second time racing that distance and I beat my best by 34 minutes, so overall I was pretty happy.

Here is a pic of me loosing a place with just over 3 km to go (almost 2 miles)...Yes the bearded man in a tutu wearing the Australian flag as a cape passed me...twice! Lets not talk about that bit hahahaha

Sorry team, I have been awfully busy, but I can report in now!

As some may know I have been in training for my first 100 km foot race, which was held on ANZAC Day. We raised a bucket load of cash, and I am relatively happy with my result on the day. I had to travel interstate, fundraise and since being home I have been kept busy with work, family and recovery. More on that later though, first the CHICKENS!

We had been rather disheartened with illness recently, in the day old flock we were raising. I still don't know exactly what we were dealing with, but I am confident the bedding we had them on was contributing. The more time they were away from the brooder the healthier they (8) got. They have been on grass full time for a couple of weeks now and all but one symptom cleared. One little cockerel had a sneeze from time to time but that is no longer an issue either.

Our blue "Bell" is a girl, and she is a little fighter all the way. A few times I was ready to cull her and she pulled through, easily the family favourite being very affectionate. First there was Cocci, then the respiratory problem that included a swollen eye that would weep and bubble. Nearly two weeks ago she was well behind in body size and very light. We found she had a large squishy crop and would vomit if handled. I thought it was the end once again and I was half a day off culling her before we set off interstate as I didn't want her to die on our house sitter and kids. We vacated her crop a couple of times and added a little more AVC to the water and she has bounce back once again!

We returned home to the same amount of birds we left with, tons of feathers and they laid zero eggs while we were gone. Everyone has molted heavy this year.

After work yesterday I had been catching up on chores, moving the tractor, cleaning up poop and feathers.....oh so many feathers!

The cockerels (3) were culled before we left. A hard choice for me to make as they were good breeds, but I could not sell them and we were not going to keep them long term so I reduced the flock size before leaving.

We were left with 1x Blue Aussie, 2x Welsummers, 1x SLW and 1x FWM in the mini flock that is still segregated from the main flock.

Its been an exhausting chicken ride, hard on the decisions and the wallet but everything seems to be travelling well again. Sorry but I have not taken any pics of them, but I did download Alicia phone pics of the race!

As for my race, it was supposed to be a 100km trail race in Sydney, but in the days before the race Sydney had some terrible weather, and the race was changed to a lap race around a gravel showground park. 155 laps of a 646m cambered track. It was a different kind of hard! I ran really well in the first half, but ultimately made some poor choices which cost me. I dropped from 5th overall to 10th (7th male) in the last 30k. Finished in 10 hours 21 minutes. I wanted to go under 10 hours but I am happy with a top ten placing.

A pano shot of the surface

Back
Top Bottom