Our introduction to keeping chickens, the high's, the lows and pics of our journey.

It's not a very popular meat here. I remember having it as a kid and not enjoying the gamey-ness of rabbit. If it was cooked better I might like it though.

No Mr Floppy ears here, either as pets or produce.

Oz, I have a couple of mates who are into aquaponics. One of them is quite successful and has two crops of fish a year. His trout are fantastic and last time I visited his veggie patch over it was going great guns. Something I would love to tinker with someday but I would need to learn a fair bit. I thought the bell syphons were very cool.

It's not a very popular meat here. I remember having it as a kid and not enjoying the gamey-ness of rabbit. If it was cooked better I might like it though.

No Mr Floppy ears here, either as pets or produce.

Oz, I have a couple of mates who are into aquaponics. One of them is quite successful and has two crops of fish a year. His trout are fantastic and last time I visited his veggie patch over it was going great guns. Something I would love to tinker with someday but I would need to learn a fair bit. I thought the bell syphons were very cool.
its on my list for next year

I am not surprised mate hahahaha, Must be close to the last edible thing not on your property!

I did a survival course some years ago where we killed and processed our own catches, rabbit was one of the easiest and fastest to do. I am surprised it has not grown in popularity.

Hard to buy from a store around here if you wanted to cook some of your own.

I am not surprised mate hahahaha, Must be close to the last edible thing not on your property!

I did a survival course some years ago where we killed and processed our own catches, rabbit was one of the easiest and fastest to do. I am surprised it has not grown in popularity.

Hard to buy from a store around here if you wanted to cook some of your own.
My new batch of workers are really into the idea of home grown food. They love the fact that we supply ducks for eating and growing vegetables are part of their job description.

Aquaponics has always been on the agenda but I need stability.

I used to hunt bunnies on our Oz sheep farm and like to eat them. My workers want to raise them to eat as well.

I will re-approach the subject once things are settled.

Table rabbits aren'y cheap in the Phils though....

I did some quick math on them, and the initial investment of building them a proper large run would repay itself pretty much after the first batch of bunnies. That's comparing it to store bought rabbit though. If you just see it as a protein source, I think we'll need to do a couple of litters before they're earning their keep, but still, should be pretty low maintenance. Of course, the problem with them escaping and becoming feral is very real, especially in Australia. Even here in Finland where it's cold in winter they managed to build up quite a population. A few years back Helsinki had a estimated population of about 10000 feral bunnies. It's gone down since then though.

Last edited:
I did some quick math on them, and the initial investment of building them a proper large run would repay itself pretty much after the first batch of bunnies. That's comparing it to store bought rabbit though. If you just see it as a protein source, I think we'll need to do a couple of litters before they're earning their keep, but still, should be pretty low maintenance. Of course, the problem with them escaping and becoming feral is very real, especially in Australia. Even here in Finland where it's cold in winter they managed to build up quite a population. A few years back Helsinki had a estimated population of about 10000 feral bunnies. It's gone down since then though.
in the mid seventies we bought 1000 acres in NSW.

The day we took posession we were greeted with a summons from the Pasture Protection Board to eradicate the rabbits. The property had been abandoned for 10 years and there is an estimated 2 million rabbits on it. We shot, trapped and poisoned over 1,5 million of them. We then released a hanfull of fleas carrying myxomatosis, The bunnies dropped to a few thousand

Yup, I can only imagine what kind of damage they had done to the eco system. Although, heck of a source for free meat
big_smile.png

Yup, I can only imagine what kind of damage they had done to the eco system. Although, heck of a source for free meat
big_smile.png
the ground looked like it was moving

great fun if you are a 15 year old boy with a 22 rifle

we took out an estimated 1 million bunnies in 1 baiting with 1080. Imagine a million kilos of dead thumper in the summer heat

fortunately 80% died in their warrens

Recently, our 13 year old Pomeranian Flynn has been struggling with a collapsing trachea. An issue common to older small dogs, especially Pom's

We have had two very hot days in a row while he has been ill. Unable to afford risky and expensive surgery we were left with no option but a visit to the vet. It was a tough afternoon for the family. We brought him home and buried him in the front garden with a large garden headstone.

RIP little fluff ball, you were a great pet that watched our sons grow from babies to little boys. You will be missed.

Not quite sure why, but I wanted to share.

Back
Top Bottom