Our introduction to keeping chickens, the high's, the lows and pics of our journey.

Ben, always a tough time when you lose a long time family pet. Putting especially older dogs through surgery is often quite a selfish thing to do, in my opinion you respected your pet enough to not prolong his suffering. It will feel empty without him for a while, but it's for the best.

"Once you have had a wonderful dog, a life without one, is a life diminished."
- Dean Koontz

Ben I am so sorry! We lost our first Yorkshire terrier last spring and it was one of the hardest things to deal with. I actually had to take our newer pup to the vet yesterday for an emergency surgery for a bowel blockage yesterday and was so afraid we were going to lose her too!

RIP little one!

Oh Ben ,so sorry. . These decisions are made so much harder when there are children involved.
They steal your heart and it is like losing your best friend, so it's natural to grieve.
" A true friend leaves paw prints on your heart "
Hugs for Alicia and the boys too. :hugs X

Thanks team. Yesterday was tough. Both the kids know and understand death, but Flynn seems to just be a forever pet as he has always been there for him.

Alicia was pretty upset. We have had a dog since our first year together and we have been together 17 years in August. We lost our Ridgeback/bullmastiff when she was about 12 and our Pom was 13. Both had a few years between them.

It does feel weird not having a dog around the house and it's only been one night.

Sorry to blab on, I know I am preaching to the choir here.

I find that planting a special tree or plant in honour of my furry friends therapeutic . Of course my garden is starting to look like a parkland, but it gives the plant special significance. I never go past my weeping silver birch without smiling and softly saying ' morning sox.' :) The horses are buried in the paddock but I put daffodil bulbs on their burial site. Every spring I see the blooms and have fond memories of better times.

Recently, our 13 year old Pomeranian Flynn has been struggling with a collapsing trachea. An issue common to older small dogs, especially Pom's We have had two very hot days in a row while he has been ill. Unable to afford risky and expensive surgery we were left with no option but a visit to the vet. It was a tough afternoon for the family. We brought him home and buried him in the front garden with a large garden headstone. RIP little fluff ball, you were a great pet that watched our sons grow from babies to little boys. You will be missed. Not quite sure why, but I wanted to share.
Sorry for the loss of your hairy person :hit :hugs

Last edited:
Omg, 5 days of reading off my phone, might have been quicker if I didn't have kids but too late to return them now!!

First off I sorry for your latest loss, I'm not looking forward to the day our dogs leave us but sadly it's a fact of life especially when we share our life with animals ((big hugs)) to your family xo

Your whole story has been wonderful and assured me that I could probably get away with having more than the allowed six birds once my permanent coop is built, maybe even a rooster long enough to get chicks! Though I'll need you to pop over to qld to build me a rooster box please
Looking forward to reading more about the adventures of "bens hens"

Back
Top Bottom