Our introduction to keeping chickens, the high's, the lows and pics of our journey.

So cute!
love.gif
Congrats on your race too!

Very cute chicks Ben, how you run 50 km is a mystery to me. Karin decided that we need to get in shape again, so we went for a run this morning. Considering the fact that I probably haven't been out running in half a year, the 4 km run was surprisingly easy.

I hope you get only pullets from this batch of chicks. I've given up hope on any of our chicks being pullets, I think four little roo dudes will find themselves in the freezer in a few weeks. One of them is looking really good though, so I'd like to keep him. But I don't think our flock can handle two boys with only three adult girls left.

Yeah those ratios are a bit out of kilt Vehve.

The running is kind of weird, some say it's all mentel, some say we have evolved to be very good runners (just some people choose not to) I started out with shorter runs and slowly built them up, so now what I consider a warm up some people train months for. After a while you become desensitised to the distance. Good work to you both, keep at it, even if you just get out and get the ticker beating a bit higher a few times a week you will feel better for it in the long run.

As for chicks, not sure who is who yet, we have 4 Wellies, two have the classic female marks, and two don't...but those marks are not always 100% true, especially here with our breeder. The rest are still too early to tell.

We have given up on the adoption process, so the brooder is staying on duty. More pics to come tomorrow.

Hi K Spot, yeah, going by traditional markings we should have two and two. I can't remember if the eyeliner and 'v' markings ran true last time we had wellies.

Apologies for not following through with some pics, life has been busy lately. Kids, training and also two contract jobs on the go at the moment leaves little time for happy snaps and trying to get the pics from my phone to the PC!

I still log in every day though and try keep up with Oz's thread and the Aussie thread. Hopefully I get a chance to catch up on some chick pics this weekend.

Here's a pic to entertain you guys while we wait for more pics of Ben's newest additions.

This is Hilma, we're going to pay a visit to a buck in a few weeks, and a month from that we should have some baby bunnies.

My own hatching record so far is 2 boys and 2 girls from the first successful hatch (2 quitters), 1 boy and 1 girl from the next (4 quitters), 4 boys and one undetermined chick who offed itrself at 3 days, one cracked egg in the early days. So that's 7-3 so far. I'm hoping the next batch will balance out my numbers to what they should be, but with my luck we'll get more freezer campers out of them.

Back
Top Bottom