Our introduction to keeping chickens, the high's, the lows and pics of our journey.

50 bucks the blue 'lorp is a roo

Anyone?

lau.gif

It is the smaller of the bunch, but also the youngest. I know our track record! I think we are up to 0 out of 5 attempts at getting a blue pullet. It could be an easy $50 for you lol

8 goats gave me 9 doelings.

Bens Blue 'lorp run could be as long

Show off hahahahahaha

just got home from a night away for another wedding. All the flocks are happy and healthy on return. I was expecting a swag of eggs as we had not received any before we left....came home to four eggs! It's like they knew we were not around.

I am about to attempt a photo shoot with the chicks.

As a very early guess, I am think the Black is a male and the blue is a female......time will tell if that works out.

Off to get some little ones to behave then wrestle the pics onto here.

Okey dokey...some images to share!

I will try include a bit of info about each chick ( 10 in total)

Group brooder shot

THE Blue Australorp, youngest of the batch by a day or so.

Very small thin comb visible

The Black Australorp, this one I am leaning towards a male as it's visible comb is thicker at the base. Am early indicator I am told :D

The younger FWM, petite and smaller than the other, but they are different ages. No black band visible yet but it will probably be another week before we can guess with that technique.

The older FWM, bigger in body and some suspect darker wing feathers visible....see how that goes over the following week.

Second FWM's comb. I am bracing myself for the inevitable!

Now we move onto the Wellie's. These (for those that don't know) are said to be early sexed by two methods, the 'sharpness' of the head V, and the eyeliner. Females have a more defined V and the eyeliner, males have no eyeliner and a 'fuzzy' V. By the first day we got them, we should have had two males and two females, but I don't think this method is breeding true in our line. Again, time will tell. All have the same little tail and shoulder feathers

We have 4 chicks, and there are two pics of each.

No 1, small visible comb, no eyeliner and blurry V

Chick 2 Eyeliner, defined V and small comb

Chick 3, larger comb, no eyeliner and blurry V

Chick 4, defined V, eyeliner and a more prominent comb

then we move onto the two SLW's.

I am not the best at this gender picking game on my won flock, but I am going to guess one of each. This is based on the comb width at this age and nothing else.

Chick one, much wider base of the comb

Chick 2, has a more slender comb at this point.

Other than one case of pasty butt, they are doing really well and growing like weeds!

in our main flock, we are down to one broody as our RIR finished her attempt. The little Tasmanian roo is getting bigger but so far as I can tell has not figured out how to crow but he certainly has some saddle feathers going on!

Back
Top Bottom