Our introduction to keeping chickens, the high's, the lows and pics of our journey.

HI Team,

Sorry, been pretty slack!

Firstly, the good news and then nothing, as there is only good news really!

We still have the 5 pullets in the grow out pen, just about finished the last of the pullet grower feed I have before swapping over to layer feed. I don't expect them to be laying for another few weeks though at the earliest.

Everyone is healthy, no issues with either of the flocks other than no eggs. Main flock is still moulting and the whole team is on strike. Not an egg since about mid April! (I did have some bad news after all hahaha)

The really good news is, the blue Australorp (aka Bell) that we have so long tried to obtain is doing well and grown to a nice size among her peers.

I got a pic a few days ago on my phone and meant to upload it, but just didn't do it immediately and well....time got away from me!

Outside of chickens, I am working 3 jobs, the wife and kids are all healthy and I am just beginning my training program to tackle my next big race in September. Another 100, but this time the imperial version! My first 100 miler. I don't know what is wrong with me, not yet diagnosed hahahaha.

I will go find that pic of Bell to share.

She's not perfect but we adore her all the same.

Last edited:
Thats 168 km...are you CRAZY! hahaha The 100 miles came from a famous race in the US, where men rode horses 100 miles though the mountains, one rider's horse pulled up lame before the race and said "Heck, I will run it on foot" He certainly didn't win, but he didn't come last either.

Both race still take place.

In chicken news there is no change. Not had an egg from 13 hens in about 10 weeks. Not one single egg.

The youngsters are going well, still penned away from the main flock, this last feed they went onto a 50/50 mix of layer and raiser. Once that is exhausted they will most likely move in with the rest of the flock.

Thats 168 km...are you CRAZY! hahaha The 100 miles came from a famous race in the US, where men rode horses 100 miles though the mountains, one rider's horse pulled up lame before the race and said "Heck, I will run it on foot" He certainly didn't win, but he didn't come last either.

Both race still take place.

In chicken news there is no change. Not had an egg from 13 hens in about 10 weeks. Not one single egg.

The youngsters are going well, still penned away from the main flock, this last feed they went onto a 50/50 mix of layer and raiser. Once that is exhausted they will most likely move in with the rest of the flock.

Actually, I read something about a fit man on foot actually being faster than a horse over long distances, I think it may be something like 200 miles, but eventually the horse needs to stop for a significant amount of time to feed while the human can keep going to a degree, plus, over distances of around 100 miles, a horse is usually averaging a slow trot, which is around 5 miles an hour, so it would take the horse 20 hours (actually more because of vet checks) to finish, it'll be fun to see your finish time and see how true that is, I bet you're not going to be far behind the horses.

Hi Kusanar,

Amazingly, you are right. While horses and other animals are faster, humans are better over long distances. In fact, we are the best in the world at covering long distance. Science has us as the best evolved (religious beliefs aside) at travel. We have certain traits built into our bodies to make this possible. Being bipedal (two legged) is a major factor as we can control our breathing separate to our body movements. Horses, dogs and big cats all use their bodies like a concertina to get the air in and out, we are very good at regulating our temp and managing air flow. Not as fast but we can out last out food or prey on foot, and even beat horses over long distance!

We are built to run but many of us don't find it very fun haha.

Still no eggs......I hate buying eggs that taste nothing like fresh home grown eggs.....due to the cost we have to be careful with how many we use with store bought, they are not quite an endless supply like home grown!

Back
Top Bottom