Our newest Hobby~ Chickens

So I took some pics today. The flock got there first bit of free ranging today, and loved it! The dogs did pretty good too, but I will have to keep an eye on Waffle, he was a bit too interested in the silkies.
Here's most of the flock...think there's two Silkies hidden in the Cochins on the left. The "big girls" are on the right.
891F1632-5568-40EE-94D4-85C5D4B5A1DA-80-0000016C32A105D7.jpg

And this is Cloud, one of the Silkies. Fluffy butt!
EAAECA32-D287-4190-8217-55DC7C148D0F-80-00000171517CD428.jpg

I'm also really excited, because my favorite boy Smoke is getting what looks to be yellow on his neck and head...which would make him a LemonBlue. Really excited about that. The lady we got them from had a Lemon Roo, and he was beautiful. Smoke is standing by himself between the two groups of Cochins, on the left, in the pic above.

Loved reading your little homesteading story, and seeing your beautiful chicks to chickens pictures!

I have had success with trees on the prairie, but you have to plan where you will put them, and also put in wood shields as a wind and snow protection.

I have successfully grown Ash, Crab Apple, Russian Elms and Locust. The Russian Elms have flower buds on them in the spring, and the bees love them! I know the Elms are not the nicest looking, but their shade is a blessing during a hot summer day!

I had no success with a Weeping Willow or Cottonwoods, not sure why? Planted 50 Cottonwoods that I bought from the CSU extension service, and they all died, but they (CSU) do have other species of trees for sale at great prices. You order the trees in the winter/spring, and they are delivered to Ramah (I think) in the spring. Everyone picks up there trees on the same two days, so lots of meeting and greeting going on.

Also, for flowering bushes, Forsythia and Lilacs did really well. We had dogs in the yard, so no problem with rabbits or deer.

Thanks!
My willow is doing pretty good, so far. My FIL came out and put up metal stakes and anchored the tree with wire, so it's having an easier time. I really love the different Ash trees, and really can't wait to start planning the backyard a bit. My little japanese maple is doing great in the chicken run, and the butterfly bush hasn't had one leaf fall of. I had three Wisteria planted next to the fence, and the dang rabbit in my backyard chewed on them. So I dug them up and potted them, and will baby them through the winter. My blackberry bushes are not happy in the barn, but they're doing pretty good and stand up when they come outside for the day.
The chickens are a lot of fun right now. They're all getting bigger, except the silkies, and they follow me all over the place. I've said it a couple times, if I was a better liar I would sell these silkies and tell my husband they died. They are the neediest, dumbest little things, cute but dumb. They won't go up the ramp into the coop, and they don't roost.
It's getting close to egg time, and I'm super excited about that. I am also already sick of the cold...is it too late to move to Arizona?

I guess it wouldn't hurt to do a real update. The big girls are 17 weeks, 4 Cochins are 15 weeks, 3 are 13 weeks and the Silkies are 13 weeks.
I've got a new nesting box on the ground, since the silks took over the blue side of the coop. The big girls only pecked around for a few minutes and then were disinterested. I've got five fake eggs in there, and everyday they get moved from nest to nest. Just this evening I screwed a little plastic nail holder to the nest box, and filled it with oyster shells. It's a little early, but I like things to be ready before i need them.
I've been doing fermented feed for about 3 weeks now. It's very easy, and all the chickens love it. My FIL made a trough for it, and we no longer have food flung and wasted. They were getting pretty bad at one point, I think they were wasting half a scoop of dry a day.
We started letting them out of the run last week, and try for an hour each time. The big girls have ventured all the way to the back door, and really love getting behind the barn. The Cochins and Silkies don't travel so much. They stay within feet of the run wall. I tried luring them out, but when they realized I didn't have a treat, they slowly drifted back to where they're happy.
They're all starting to hang out a bit more, now we have two flocks instead of four. The big girls are finally letting the rest in the barn, and don't peck the silkies as much.
Bean and Waffle haven't had too many issues. Bardie is our flock leader and she has bit Beans toe, and pecked Waffle once. After a while the dogs get tired of the chickens and go play, then come back after five minutes to eat any poo they can find, which makes me gag.
The Cochins are really beautiful. Smoke is getting huge, and has some yellow coming in his hackles, he's like a surfer dude with awful blonde highlights. Onyx is our black Roo, and he shines purple and green in the sun and has some orange leakage on his wings. I'm still not sure if Crazy is a male or female, pretty sure Boots is a girl, and Hawk, Flower and Break are for sure girls. Hubby will get home just when the Cochins are maturing, so we'll be able to decide together who is staying, and if we need to get rid of anyone.
Its going pretty well. Once you get a routine, and a slight idea of what to do, chickens are pretty easy. I like the natural approach, and hope to keep chemicals and bad stuff away from them.
~Ashley

Back
Top Bottom