Our VERY FIRST EGG !! :)

How old was your layer? I have my first ones that are almost weeks old now, and I am still hoping they are all girls. Rhode Island Red, Black Ostralorp, Easter Egger, and Silver Laced Wyandotte.

i started raising chicken on 4/2016

when my family brought them home i think they are 1-2+ weeks old ?.. i put them outside in the yard the next morning

four of my hens started to lay 3-4 days ago while one started 2-3 weeks ago

from what i noticed when i switched over to layer feed all them them start laying.. :/ must be something in the layer feed ??

as for the age of my hens i'm guessing they are 17-18+ week old

layer feed contains less protein and more calcium than a grower, there's nothing in it that will cause them to start laying. That's usually determined by breed, feed, when it's a higher protein ration it makes them mature earlier, and time of year when they are maturing. Sometimes maturing too early can cause troubles down the road, so I add scratch to their diet to slow them down a bit.

layer feed contains less protein and more calcium than a grower, there's nothing in it that will cause them to start laying. That's usually determined by breed, feed, when it's a higher protein ration it makes them mature earlier, and time of year when they are maturing. Sometimes maturing too early can cause troubles down the road, so I add scratch to their diet to slow them down a bit.

we don't have grower here (at least at the stores i bought the feeds from)

so starter feed -->then layer feed for my hens

since the other 4 are younger so i keep the laying hen on starter feed as well for another 2+ weeks.

from what i noticed they will not lay their eggs in the morning for some reason ? i checked at various times and seem like they will lay at various time

i have 2 nesting boxes for 5 hens so it should be plenty

Hens take approximately 26 hours to produce an egg, so a hen that pays daily will lay her egg later and later until she goes until the next morning. Some hens don't lay daily, your sex links should give about an egg a day and the others about 3-5 week.

They look pink, so probably an australorp, and she's probably laying the eggs in the middle of the bowl.

Last edited:
They look pink, so probably an australorp, and she's probably laying the eggs in the middle of the bowl.

i looked up the breeds you mentioned.. honestly.. i can't tell the difference between the two at all.. without looking at the feet.. now that i look at the feet more closely i think it's slight yellowish (that picture was not a good picture

finally got this many eggs at once..

this is the first time i saw an egg of this shape
lol.png

this is the large eggs carton i got from the store

are the chickens we are raising the same type they use in factory farms?.. my eggs are a lot smaller in comparison..

Back
Top Bottom