Out to the coop

They have been out there full time for almost a week. The area behind the coop is going to get fenced in. I have just been letting them roam the back part of my house for now

You can see the I drilled a hole in the top of the coop for more air flow dose it look like I need more ?

So just to make sure the 2 nesting boxes I have will be enough for 6 chickens ?

Also do I need to close the door to the coop at night or is that just for keeping things out ? I am not very worried about things getting in at night and would rather not have the door on but it seems like they don't know to go in the coop at night

On average, you need 1 nesting box for 4 hens so 2 boxes will work. The chicks don't return to the coop because the ramp is too steep. Place a brick under it to flatten it out a little.

I checked on them last night and they all made it back into the coop. So I kept the door open so then can wake up and roam about when they want. I just wasn't sure if it is needed to have the door closed at night. I live in beaverton or and have lots of houses around so it is just mainly cats. And the run has wire around it. Dose any one else leave the door open all the time

As long as the run is completely secure I don't see what it matters if it's open or shut just in cold and windy weather it may create a draft just something to think about

Yea I was thinking about put up a plastic flap over the door. That way they can just push it to go in and out.. Do you think that is a good idea..?

Back
Top Bottom