Outdoors today?

brandislovak

In the Brooder
Apr 5, 2017
So my babies are between 4 and 5 weeks old now and Ive built them a temporary outside cage for the daytime out if 3 dog crates. Every day for the past 3 days they've been out in it enjoying the outside life getting used to my dogs and other outdoor things from the safety of their pen.(they'll be free roamers once their bigger) Anyway yesterday they woke me up with thier noisy way of talking lol and I put them put and they were all happy last evening I brought them in and they seemed ticked off yelling and peeping really loud for a good half hour (i take it they didnt want to come in lol) So to the point it might rain today its supposed to be in the mid 70's and sunny on and off with a chance of a passing shower their pen has a tarp over part of it for shade for them but do you think I should keep them in or take them outside? They have a lot of feathers but still some fluff on theor necks and undersides.

So my babies are between 4 and 5 weeks old now and Ive built them a temporary outside cage for the daytime out if 3 dog crates. Every day for the past 3 days they've been out in it enjoying the outside life getting used to my dogs and other outdoor things from the safety of their pen.(they'll be free roamers once their bigger) Anyway yesterday they woke me up with thier noisy way of talking lol and I put them put and they were all happy last evening I brought them in and they seemed ticked off yelling and peeping really loud for a good half hour (i take it they didnt want to come in lol) So to the point it might rain today its supposed to be in the mid 70's and sunny on and off with a chance of a passing shower their pen has a tarp over part of it for shade for them but do you think I should keep them in or take them outside? They have a lot of feathers but still some fluff on theor necks and undersides.
Take them out, and leave them out if the pen is secure.

Gary

Your chicks are trying to tell you they're big kids now and can handle living outside like real chickens.

Your climate sounds agreeable, so why not move them into their coop and be done with it? The free-ranging part will need to wait until they're big enough not to be such easy prey for predators, though.

Yep, they can live in the coop now full time... :).....You can free range them now if your with them..?...Young birds stay very close to home...;)....They will still need a safe place to go at night to be safe from predation ..:)

Cheers!

I thought they had to be older heck yeah theyll love it! (And so will I) loud little stinkers
2764.png
2764.png
2764.png
2764.png
2764.png
2764.png
2764.png

They are ready! Mine were outside full time in their coop by that age. They loved it. My coop sits above their fenced in area so they can huddle under it on rainy days and go back up inside if they wish. There was one day I opened the coop and they took one look at the rain and hunkered back down. Cracked me up!! They are good about taking cover when need be.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom