Outside Access to Nest Boxes or not?

Do you find that your drinkers/feeders stay clean from the poop above?

Yes - this design is set up to provide exactly that, a clean/protected space below the roosts that is kept free of falling poo. The only time anything gets in the feeder/waterer is if the girls get particularly excited about digging around in the deep litter bedding and kick it up high enough to get into them. Our poop board is 24 inches wide and the feeder and waterer are hung pretty much dead center in their respective positions so they are entirely under the tray at all points.

I like having access from outside. My coop is in the pic and you can see that the nesting box is all on the exterior. I enjoy that aspect as it helps to save on interior space.

Makes it a lot easier to check on eggs from the outside. Walk out, one peek, grab eggs, you're done. Otherwise I'm flipping open two door latches, shooing away the girls as they bum-rush me thinking I've got food, and then walking inside. The hardest part is closing those blasted door latches with a hand full of eggs as I normally don't have a basket with me!

I like having access from outside. My coop is in the pic and you can see that the nesting box is all on the exterior. I enjoy that aspect as it helps to save on interior space.

Makes it a lot easier to check on eggs from the outside. Walk out, one peek, grab eggs, you're done. Otherwise I'm flipping open two door latches, shooing away the girls as they bum-rush me thinking I've got food, and then walking inside. The hardest part is closing those blasted door latches with a hand full of eggs as I normally don't have a basket with me!
Ah, see, that is part of the game you have to play to get lots of eggs. You've got it mastered - take a basket = few eggs, don't have a basket = there will be so many eggs you are left struggling to carry them all securely.

Thank you! I have been waiting for this detailed of a response from someone... I appreciate you taking the time to answer!

My only concern for going in the coop to collect eggs is how your doors are situated. I'm thinking your human door is going to wind up being inside your run, and that's going to guarantee you need boots to go in. In just the coop, with deep litter, I go in in my crocs all the time cause it's basically dry and not messy....but runs are a whole nother story.

I have not decided on this yet - but it does seem that if I do outside nest boxes then the boxes will need to be on the short long wall and if that is the case, then the doors will definitely be on the inside of the run...

I have decided on making a poo-board as pictured above, seems the most clean. I have 60sq ft for the birds to run around if I do this... thanks!

lol...drives my wife nuts that I wear my crocs into the coop.
I'm using the deep litter method whick really helps keep the moisture down. I will go in, collect my eggs and have a visit with the girls.
The run on the other hand, is a mine field so boots are a must.

I know we need to clean the house/coop - but does the run get cleaned? If so, how often? and most of it is on dirt - so they can scratch, right? So not sure cleaning would even be possible... maybe raked up for the compost?

Ah, see, that is part of the game you have to play to get lots of eggs. You've got it mastered - take a basket = few eggs, don't have a basket = there will be so many eggs you are left struggling to carry them all securely.

Exactly! And I learned - the hard way - NOT to put eggs in my pocket! I always manage to bump into something on the way out the coop and then the egg is history and I'm trying to get egg yolk out of a pocket. YUCK!

I was asked how cold weather impacts their laying when the nesting box is outside. Let's just say that - out of 7 girls - I had 3 sitting at the same time this morning and I've been averaging 5-6 eggs daily. It was 12 degrees when I got up this morning and there's no heat in the coop so it appears that they continue to lay just fine!

This is my first year with chickens and so far, after reading everything on here til my eyes hurt, everything is going well.
My coop is 15x10, with 5ft section for tools and feed, so 10x10. The run is 15x 20. Deep litter method is working great, will be cleaned out come April(6 months worth). The run is grass, dirt, and a couple hay bails. Clean up wasn't too bad. I raked up the hay in late fall and tossed it into the compost pile. Right now, everything is buried under several feet of snow so Im looking forward to spring so I can start all over.

I have, and love, a poop board set up.  My coop is very much like the second one you used as an example, right down to having the feed/water hanging under it.  I love the fact that the poop board prevents the waste of floor space that you encounter when the waste beneath the roosts is able to go to the floor level.
X2

Back
Top Bottom