Outside with heat temps?

JacksonPearce

Songster
6 Years
Aug 17, 2016
I have six 3 week old pullets who (obviously) aren't yet fully feathered but are filling in nicely. Today I moved them to and outdoor brooder with a heat plate and a cozy amount of hay for insulation in a smaller, sectioned off part of the brooder; they've also got a Cozy Coop heater panel in the larger part of the brooder. Overnight lows are in the high 30s-- think they need to come inside for the evening, or are they okay?

I've never moved babies outside so quickly, but we need our basement back sooner than expected! Thanks, all.

I have six 3 week old pullets who (obviously) aren't yet fully feathered but are filling in nicely. Today I moved them to and outdoor brooder with a heat plate and a cozy amount of hay for insulation in a smaller, sectioned off part of the brooder; they've also got a Cozy Coop heater panel in the larger part of the brooder. Overnight lows are in the high 30s-- think they need to come inside for the evening, or are they okay?

I've never moved babies outside so quickly, but we need our basement back sooner than expected! Thanks, all.

They should be fine.
You might want to put a huddle box in there with the cozy coop heater aiming into it.
Between that and the heat plate raised to the right height for them to get under it and the hay, I would think they'll do well. Just get up early and check on them.

They should be fine. I have my 14 day old chicks in my coop brooder, using the mama heat pad. Our lows have been in the low thirties and highs, upper fifties. Others on here brood in their coop, with colder temperatures than that.
Edit: Just make sure their all under the heat plate and they should stay under there all night.

coop brooder 2019 3.jpg

They should be fine. I have my 14 day old chicks in my coop brooder, using the mama heat pad. Our lows have been in the low thirties and highs, upper fifties. Others on here brood in their coop, with colder temperatures than that.
Edit: Just make sure their all under the heat plate and they should stay under there all night.

View attachment 1708645
this is the design I was also going for. I am expecting my first ever chicks in April and wonder do you have to have them in the house. I was going to have them in a brooder in my garage with the heat lamp and if too cold we have a wood stove in there as well.

No you don't have to have them in the house, the garage is fine and the wood stove is not needed. If you are going to use a heat lamp, make sure it is secured a couple different ways, so it doesn't fall into the brooder and start a fire.(yes it can/does happen). You might want to check out the mama heat pad, instead of using a heat lamp also. The chicks get used to day and night from the start and it's safer than a heat lamp. That's what I use.
2019 under mama heat pad.jpg

I am going to start them off the ground in a dog crate I will secure the heat lamp the top of the cage with zip ties.

Mine were in an outdoor uninsulated coop, with nothing but a heat plate and a draft free brooder, from day 3 on. Temperatures INSIDE THE COOP showed a balmy 6 degrees F. They thrived and were out from under the heat plate so much more than I ever expected them to be.

They’re a month old now and doing great.

Back
Top Bottom