Overdue eggs won't internally pip?

The 3rd duckling out (#4) got very energetic yesterday and decided to help out #6. (The last one put in, due to hatch tomorrow). #6 wasn't ready yet! If you're well enough to torment your sibling, you're fine to go to the tub with the others. It is doing very well!  #6 bled a lot and overnight it's hole was almost clamped shut with hard, dried blood. I carefully opened the hole big enough to expose his bill. I left it alone while I went to town and when I got back it was shallow breathing, no more sounds. I picked off the shell on the top half and wet the membrane. It's coming out a little at a time but really tired. I think I will just leave it to rest for a few hours. The shell and membrane are only on it's bottom half now. The rest is exposed. If there is any yolk left, maybe it will absorb it while resting. No obvious blood now. So, now there are 3 ducks and one chick in the heated tub, one resting in the bator, one making a zipper and one, well....IDK? This is very stressful! I know you are not supposed to expect 100% hatch every time. This is my first and every single one is important to me! 
do you have a small cup or bowl you can place the one that needs to absorb but is mostly out of its shell?

The 3rd duckling out (#4) got very energetic yesterday and decided to help out #6. (The last one put in, due to hatch tomorrow). #6 wasn't ready yet! If you're well enough to torment your sibling, you're fine to go to the tub with the others. It is doing very well! #6 bled a lot and overnight it's hole was almost clamped shut with hard, dried blood. I carefully opened the hole big enough to expose his bill. I left it alone while I went to town and when I got back it was shallow breathing, no more sounds. I picked off the shell on the top half and wet the membrane. It's coming out a little at a time but really tired. I think I will just leave it to rest for a few hours. The shell and membrane are only on it's bottom half now. The rest is exposed. If there is any yolk left, maybe it will absorb it while resting. No obvious blood now. So, now there are 3 ducks and one chick in the heated tub, one resting in the bator, one making a zipper and one, well....IDK? This is very stressful! I know you are not supposed to expect 100% hatch every time. This is my first and every single one is important to me!
Since you interveened with number 6 you need to wet his membrane every 2 hours, really need to see pictures on his status I can tell you when hes ready or not.

Number 6 will need to be assisted from here on, but I'm afraid if you don't know what your looking for to tell if he's ready or not, it's going to be a huge risk on your end.

Do you have a camera phone you can text me some pictures?

#6 is doing very poorly :( I am so upset. I' guessing this is why some people put them in a brooder when they pip. It was internal piped just no crack yet. I will try to send a pick. I ended up changing my profile pic last time because I couldn't figure out how to upload.

yes, I can put him in something. I did give him a few drops of water earlier. I know they aren't supposed to need anything for a while, but I didn't want it to dehydrate. Can you tell me the reason for putting him in a bowl? And you're saying leave him in the bator while in the bowl, correct?

I will go wet the membrane. This dang phone is new and I haven't figured out how to use it all yet. If I upload to face book it won't let me use it on this site! I'm trying to get some.

Ok, then the drink wasn't good. I'll put him in a smaller bowl so he sits up more. He can wiggle now, but can't get traction and the membrane just follows because it's wet now. You think better to just let him sleep or stimulate to get blood flowing? He does get simulated when I play the ducks chirping. I am thinking the bowl is a good idea for him if nothing else, the one fixing to hatch won't be able to get to him.

Thanking God right now! I went to check and he was trying to get out of the cup. Membrane is detached and most if not all of the yolk is gone I guess. It now looks the same as the other ducklings did. I had to put him in a deeper bowl and center him in the middle of the bator because he is perky and energetic and can almost touch the element. I don't like keeping him in the time out bowl, but it will certainly be better for the remaining two eggs if this doesn't get repeated! I don't think he's 100% but he is acting just like the others minutes after they hatched. I have lots of hope for him(or her) now!!!

Back
Top Bottom