Overdue eggs won't internally pip?

Swiftblack

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 13, 2014
I've already made a forum but its been like 5 days and i still don't know what to do.
I have 3 cayuga eggs im almost certain are alive, because they're wiggling and have been for around 5 days. its day 31 and still no internal pip. The incubation at first had horrible low temps so i understand the delay, but i'm afraid it might be an emergency at this point and i doubt assisted hatching is wise without the internal pip. i had 86% degree humidity but i lowered it to 70-75% just in case it was too high, the temp has been from 98-100°f because i've had mixed answers on how the incubator should be set right now.
Is there a serious problem going on or are they just extremely unusually late bloomers?
I've candled them and the air sacs in one or two look okay but i can't see much except veins in one. Is there anything i can do? What are the chances of survival?

Update: I float tested the one i thought was dead because its never wiggled and its alive and peeped gently in my hand! Does this mean its internally pipped for sure?

Second Update:
I candled and after turning the egg a little bit for a second i found a beautiful little beak in the air sac!!! THANK GOD!!!!
But it hasn't wiggled at all, will it be able to hatch?

Last edited:
@Sally Sunshine
If you click on her name and use the desktop version, you should be able to find her signature with the assisted hatch article.

Read it and keep in mind that yours may just take longer than you think :) the due dates are guidelines and really only useful for well controlled incubations.

The 3rd duckling out (#4) got very energetic yesterday and decided to help out #6. (The last one put in, due to hatch tomorrow). #6 wasn't ready yet! If you're well enough to torment your sibling, you're fine to go to the tub with the others. It is doing very well!  #6 bled a lot and overnight it's hole was almost clamped shut with hard, dried blood. I carefully opened the hole big enough to expose his bill. I left it alone while I went to town and when I got back it was shallow breathing, no more sounds. I picked off the shell on the top half and wet the membrane. It's coming out a little at a time but really tired. I think I will just leave it to rest for a few hours. The shell and membrane are only on it's bottom half now. The rest is exposed. If there is any yolk left, maybe it will absorb it while resting. No obvious blood now. So, now there are 3 ducks and one chick in the heated tub, one resting in the bator, one making a zipper and one, well....IDK? This is very stressful! I know you are not supposed to expect 100% hatch every time. This is my first and every single one is important to me! 
do you have a small cup or bowl you can place the one that needs to absorb but is mostly out of its shell?

Peeping indicates popping because they are breathing oxygen.
Is your incubator still air or forced? I say let them do their thing and try to watch your humidity, seems a bit high to me.

Is 70% really that high? and its still air.

I believe I have giving some good advice already about your hatching but if you need second opinion or don't trust me. That's cool, I'm sure Rachel will give you the exact same advice, in fact, I can already see that she has....

I was asking about assisted hatching ._.
I was panicking and afraid i would be too late.
I have peeled the shell very gently and hes doing better, plus all four eggs have externally pipped and here's a beak

thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom