Overnight death

Ecotypical

In the Brooder
Aug 17, 2015
Woke up this morning to find one of my Welsummers dead in the coop. Her head was all bloodied up and a large section of her side was pecked away down to the gastrointestinal area. All were fine and happy on their roost before I closed the coop last night. The 9 girls have all been together for 11 months now with no problems whatsoever.

I know for a fact that she was the lowest on the pecking order, but I never thought it would lead to an overnight murder. If anybody has any theories or explanations, please fill me in. Thanks.

You might want to set up a game cam in your coop. That's not a death from the flock, that's a predator. We've had other folks here equally as positive their coop was predator proof, but a game cam caught whatever was managing to get in. Whatever it was will now consider your coop an all-you-can-eat buffet.

Positive. The coop is airtight. No signs of forced entry. All the other hen were untouched.

I'm with donrae, get a game camera set up. Whatever killed your pullet will be back. Chickens do not kill each other at night. They can't see in the dark.

Last edited:
Turns out that it was a raccoon that came in via a baseball sized vent. I found the wire screen on the vent chewed off. I repaired the screen with hardware cloth. Around dusk this evening, I saw the raccoon as it descended a tree. I got my bow and arrow and sent it straight to where ever dead raccoons go. It was scrawny. Anyway, it didn't suffer.

It didn't have a chance. It walked right up to me like it had no fear of humans. At about 8ft, there's no way I'm missing.

Back
Top Bottom