oversized turkey recipes?

fowlfriends

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 12, 2007
Battle Ground, Wa
I took one of my birds out of the freezer a few days ago, and am ready to cook today. But, anyone have advice on cooking temp for a 25 pound turkey? Any super great recipes I should give a try?

Thanks! - this will be my first time eating one of my home grown turkeys that has been frozen. When fresh, they were the best in the world, and I'm just holding my breath on how it will turn out after being frozen.

I can tell you my wife, who use to caters, always cooked awesome big turkeys. She would smear them with butter flavor crisco, or real butter for us, that makes the salt, pepper and garlic stick,and them put a couple of handfuls butter inside the bird. Wrap in the heavy duty foil like you get at Sams. Slow bake for about 8 hours at 225, she would do the same thing for us except use her conviction over and cook for only about 3 hours. They look like Norman Rockwell paintings and were very good and not dry at all.

Don't know much about roasting turky in general, but for thanksgiving, my mom usually gets a 25-28 lb frozen commercial chunk of protein. To thaw she sets it in the fridge for 5 days. Then takes it out, prepares it, removes the insides, and puts it back in the fridge to let the inside thaw out more.

Then to cook, she "seals" the outside by putting it in the oven for 20 min at 425 and then lowers the temp to like 300 for the remaining hours of some sort...

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom