Owlet's Blog

chicken19

Songster
Jul 16, 2015
Riding my horse
My Coop
My Coop
Welcome to Owlet's Blog.
Owlet is a 2 week old Easter Egger chick. She's always been kinda small, and gotten pushed around by the other chickens but on March 27th I knew something was wrong! She wasn't eating or drinking and she slept whole days away in a corner of the brooder.
I started feeding her and nursing her back. Please read this thread about her: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1091331/blind-chick/50#post_16771393

I will be writing a daily or almost daily blog entry for her, here.

Well... Pheonix is still limping. Owlet is great but, LB......
She took a turn for the worst. Some kind of mucus like fluid has been building up and blocked her nostrils, and started flowing into her eye and sealed it shut. That happened yesterday morning. She was fighting for every breathe.
I quickly used a toothpick to gently scrape the dried fluid from off her nostrils and pick the food out of her mouth.
Then I rubbed her eye and got the fluid out of it and opened it up again.
She was good after that until tonight.
I had to repeat the above process as well as getting some food and water into her.
I tried my hardest but I don't know if she'll still be alive tomorrow morning.
Please send good thoughts her way. She needs all the help she can get.

I love you LB!!! Keep on fighting!!

Owlet I'm so happy to hear about your progress. Eatting on your own like a big girl that is great. The little tail feathers are so cute. They just sprout out more everyday. Maybe your momma can send us a pic of those new feathers I would love to see them. Don't let anyone bully you Owlet take up for yourself.
big_smile.png
(or tattle on them to momma and she can handle them)

Thanks so much for sharing Owlet with us. I look forward to hearing her stories as she grows up.
wink.png

April 4th, 2016.
Hi.
I got moved to a new brooder today!! It's huge and has natural light. It's also super warm and cozy.
I am not sick anymore! Or weak either.
I'm still a bit small but I can run around with the other ladies no problem.
I have a little trouble getting food but I'm starting to be a little bossy.
Today I made Peeps stay out of my way 'cause that's my food, and I'm hungry.
She got a little fed up with me after that and bit my tail. I got back at her though and bit her tail.
Ha!
I still don't quite rule the roost. Polly is super competitive and doesn't let me eat or drink when she's eating.

Mum once mis-took me for my sister! Wowzas! I'm growing!
LB's beak is getting a little worse but she's super smart and was the first one to figure out the new waterer.
The fluff on her head is all falling out so you just see the bald, red back of her head. She looks like a crooked-jawed, bald, black grizzly bear.

When Mum first moved us to the new brooder we celebrated by having 'to the top of the waterer' races and chest jousting tournaments.
I was the scorekeeper and I scratched the numbers in the shavings!

Sorry my entry was so short today but I'll get Mum to get a photo of my new digs!
Owlet
jumpy.gif

Thank you everyone. She was very, very special.
Now,
I don't know which chick to write about, so I'll write about my 1 year old hen, Lala.

Lala was bought for me as a Christmas present. She came with her two sisters. She was very aggressive and was the LNG her sisters always looked up to.
She survived a brutal pine marten attack and is now the leader of the new flock.

A few days after the Pine Marten her and her seriously wounded and sick rooster were living in dog crates in the bathroom.
That night Ickabode (the rooster) died.
About a week later Lala was back, living the coop with her three new buddies. One day Lala flew out of the coop and walked to the front door of the house. I saw her jumping up and down in front of the window waving her wings wildly. The second I noticed her she stopped. We opened the door, she walked that past us and up the stairs to the bathroom and called wildly for her boyfriend. We put her back in the coop.

The next day I was sitting on the computer on BYC and looked through the window to see Lala standing there on a coffee table trying to get my attention.
I let her in the house and she looked all over for her boy. She never found him of course but after that shy didn't come and visit that often. Now she doesn't visit anymore.
A week ago we covered the chicken runs roof because she had a habit of flying out to lay her eggs in the woods.

She's a charecter and I hope you enjoy reading about her and the other chickens.

July 22nd, 2016.

Owlet:

Guys... I'm not doing great. I had lice. And an ear infection. And the start of crossbeak.
Mum has mostly treated my lice but she can't get the eggs off. Do you guys have any suggestion for her?

She's been curing my ear too. And she's been trimming my beak back slowly so it doesn't cross.

Otherwise, life is great! We get let out to roam free every morning and eat grass.

My new friend Ginger is doing Ok too. She was sick for a while, but she's good now.

See you later!

Owlet

Thanks so much for this thread.. It gives me hope. Currently nursing (almost full time!) a baby Serama chick who is blind. I'm having the same difficulties you had with Owlet from the beginning.

I'm so happy for you that Owlet turned out ok! Is Owlet particularly close with you? I feel like my little Serama baby will be very close to me already- if she survives. She still has to figure out how to eat and drink on her own, plus not jump out of my hands and brooder! She is 2 1/2 weeks old. Doing great except for the learning of things. She is also a bit smaller than her hatch mates just like your little Owlet was her first weeks.

March 29, 2016.
I hate my brothers and sisters.
They are always pushing me this way and that.
Whenever I try to take some water they come barreling into me like a semi-truck without brakes.
Luckily, I get snatched up by a hand from the sky and fed and watered by a spoon.
I feel better after feeding and sometimes I peck at the ground of the brooder.
There's never anything there.
My sister's are always gossiping about how Peep got new feathers and about how ugly LB (Little Blackie) is because of her crossbeak. They also talk of how brave Fluff is to go and run up to the hand when it decsends into the box.
They also talk of what's outside of the box.
They also talk of how brave and fearless Night is. I think Night's stupid. Night likes to jump on the side of the brooder. I saw him do it once. He's stupid to do it though because he doesn't know how many predators might be out there!!!
There's probably hawks and eagles and cougars and great white shark!!!!
I'm sleepy....
Owlet
jumpy.gif

(she runs over to her corner by the light and falls asleep.)

Back
Top Bottom