OXINE seems fabulous. Users please share usage, dosage, storage, etc.

Just my two cents......I have used Oxine to disinfect, and either ACV in their water. ACV is acidic and does seem to keep the water from getting slimy. I did switch to nipple waterers so my water stays clean. Best thing I ever did. I did switch to Chlorhexadine solution to disinfect recently because I have black show birds and Oxine bleaches out feathers.(found that out the hard way) Not a big deal unless you show your poultry. :)

Okay, got a source. I copied from someone who got this information from a distributer. I think unactivated Oxine is giving people a false sense of security. Oxine needs to be at a lower Ph to work as specified; bacteria, viruses, funguses, etc. Oxine needs to be activated to kill anything. Even in drinking water.

OXINE USES FOR THE POULTRY INDUSTRY (revised 3/7/08)

To get the full power of Oxine, we must retrieve the gas back from its stable salt. This is easily accomplished by simply lowering the ph of Oxine to approximately 2.2—2.5, this is activation. Activation can be accomplishing by using 2 methods:

1. hand mix the Oxine with citric acid, or

2. use an automated wall unit that activates the Oxine for larger volume

requirements (for example—supplying Oxine into the water system for the

whole poultry barn).

By activating Oxine you are increasing by 100% the pathogen killing power of Oxine. This is a necessary step to ensure that you are killing Avian Influenza, E.coli, and Salmonella, etc. Activation should be done in a well ventilated area; avoid breathing any fumes. A Moldex face mask, #2500n95, works well for activation.

DEFINITION OF ACTIVATED OXINE
Activated Oxine simply means Oxine that has had an acid added to it.

Activated Oxine CANNOT be stored until the appropriate amount of water has been added to it.

After the water is added, this solution can be used for 7-10 days.

OXINE CONCENTRATION LEVELS

Concentrations Ounces per Gallon

5 ppm 0.032 fl. oz. use for water sanitation

200 ppm 1.25 fl. oz. use for removing bio-film,

and misting

500 ppm 3.50 fl. oz. use for surface and equipment sanitation.

Suggested Equipment List to Hand Activate Oxine
measuring cup with ounce scale

teaspoon

tablespoon

clean 5 gallon bucket

Remember, activated Oxine can be stored in a closed container, out of direct sunlight, for 7—10 days.

OXINE USES IN SURFACE DISINFECTING
Measure out 3 ½ ounces of Oxine,

Add a tablespoon of activator (citric acid),

Stir this mixture and wait 5 minutes (it will turn yellow),

IMMEDIATELY pour this mixture into 1 gallon of water.

You can use this mixture in hatcheries, wall surfaces, cages, etc. Oxine can be applied with a high pressure washer, backpack sprayer, etc. Oxine should be allowed to dry completely; this prolongs contact time to the surface aiding in the destruction of pathogens. Oxine should never be rinsed; it should be applied and allowed to dry.

Rule of Thumb: ratio of 1 ounce of activator to 10 fluid ounces of Oxine.

OXINE USED IN POULTRY WATERING SYSTEM

Oxine is EPA approved for water sanitation for human and poultry consumption. In populated barns make a stock solution* by using 3 to 5 ounces of activated Oxine to 1 gallon of water that will be injected into the watering system. This can be done by using a medicator set at 1 ounce to 128 gallons of water. Oxine treated water kills water borne pathogens and eliminates bio-film (refer to instructions for removal of bio-film). Oxine used continuously through the watering system has consistently shown that it maintains the health and production of broilers, turkeys and laying hens.

*A stock solution is a highly concentrated mixture of activated Oxine. This mixture must be diluted to obtain the proper parts per million (ppm). This is accomplished by running the stock solution through a proportional type pump or a medicator set at 1 ounce to 128 gallons of water to obtain the desired ppm. Stock solutions are used for water sanitation purposes.

MISTING OXINE OVER POULTRY
Measure out 1 ¼ ounces of Oxine,

Add 1 teaspoon of activator (citric acid),

Stir this mixture and wait for 5 minutes (it will turn yellow),

IMMEDIATELY pour this mixture into 1 gallon of water.

All ages of poultry can be misted with a solution of 200 ppm (1 ¼ ounces of Oxine to 1 gallon of water). It is recommended to routinely mist for airborne microbes and surface pathogens. A backpack mister, a thermo fogger, or a whole barn misting system can be used for misting. It is recommended that the mist be directed into the cages or at the level of the birds so that they breathe in the mist. Mist the poultry facility until there is a goodly amount of visible fog. This aids in upper respiratory problems and kills surface pathogens.

DRJ Animal Health, LLC 515-577-9979
Passion, Art, and Experience bringing you world class black east indies, rouens, white call ducks, gray call ducks, and pastel call ducks. Consider joining the IWBA today. www.iwba.org

Read more: http://showbirdbid.proboards.com/thread/3326#ixzz2qoBXzXXZ

OXINE USED IN POULTRY WATERING SYSTEM

Oxine is EPA approved for water sanitation for human and poultry consumption. In populated barns make a stock solution* by using 3 to 5 ounces of activated Oxine to 1 gallon of water that will be injected into the watering system. This can be done by using a medicator set at 1 ounce to 128 gallons of water. Oxine treated water kills water borne pathogens and eliminates bio-film (refer to instructions for removal of bio-film). Oxine used continuously through the watering system has consistently shown that it maintains the health and production of broilers, turkeys and laying hens.
This seems to disagree with information from the vendor's site, Revival Animal Health
http://www.revivalanimal.com/articles/how-to-use-oxine-ah.html

"Feed water should be treated at a rate of one (1) fl. oz. of OXINE
00ae.png
(AH) concentrate per 30 gallons of water and may be injected or batch loaded." talking about activated Oxine.

Well, I gather Bio-Cide refers the public to their distributers for answers. I would have to go with what the distributers write. The chemical in Oxine has to be "altered" by lowering the Ph to become the chemical that kills all those bacteria, fungus, and virus, etc. Of course it's safe unactivated. But unactivated, is it really killing the microbials (sp) that we want to kill? Farmhand, it's unfortunate that BioCide itself can't put out some information about it's use. But, It sounds like unactivated Oxine really doesn't do much at all.

I wish these companies could clearly provide what has what effectiveness. And stop confusing the public about how Oxine should be used and provide that 99% kill we are looking for.

Well, I gather Bio-Cide refers the public to their distributers for answers. I would have to go with what the distributers write. The chemical in Oxine has to be "altered" by lowering the Ph to become the chemical that kills all those bacteria, fungus, and virus, etc. Of course it's safe unactivated. But unactivated, is it really killing the microbials (sp) that we want to kill? Farmhand, it's unfortunate that BioCide itself can't put out some information about it's use. But, It sounds like unactivated Oxine really doesn't do much at all.

I wish these companies could clearly provide what has what effectiveness. And stop confusing the public about how Oxine should be used and provide that 99% kill we are looking for.
My Son-in-Law is a licensed pest control adviser for a large Ag operation and keeps up with all the different regulations to export into the European and Asian markets. He knows his stuff. Were planning to get together some evening this week and smoke cigars. I'll bring up the Oxine question.

@seminolewind

So, I have a question ( maybe two ) haha.

1- Can it be used in metal waters'? I know ACV can not be used in metal waters' so I was just curious.

2-What good does it do for the chickens for them to drink it?? Is it better for them than ACV?

Thanks for all your help!! I am getting some for disinfecting and I have read they can drink it as well!!

Last edited:
Hi, I got my info online.
I personally would NOT let them drink it. In the drinking water, I will stick to good ole few drops of bleach. But my waterers don't get slimy because the chickens empty them and I wash them and fill them back up.

The other thing is inhaling it. Not sure about that either because I'm wondering if that chemical knows which bacteria to kill? I wouldn't want to kill the good ones. On surfaces, it doesn't matter.

Back
Top Bottom