Oyster shell vs egg shell

Pics
Oyster shells stay in the body longer so they are available especially during nighttime when birds don't eat, but need the calcium to apply the egg shells to the egg their body is working on.

Egg shells are more delicious to a chicken, but they are broken down quickly. It's okay to offer both. Hens don't often eat much of the oyster shells, but they should always be available free choice.

Thanks! I notice they do eat some of the oyster shell but when I supplement with the baked egg shells they pick through to get those out throwing the oyster shell out on the ground....I normally only put the egg shell about once a week.
To cut down on waste of your oyster shells I would feed the shells separately. Chickens love egg shells. I usually just dump mine on the ground. I don't bake them either.

To cut down on waste of your oyster shells I would feed the shells separately. Chickens love egg shells. I usually just dump mine on the ground. I don't bake them either.
I wasn't baking them but they seem to be much easier to crunch up when baked...I usually just slide them in the oven after my wife bakes something and leave them until it cools down.

I wasn't baking them but they seem to be much easier to crunch up when baked...I usually just slide them in the oven after my wife bakes something and leave them until it cools down.
I found when I rinsed the insides they crunched up easily (after they dry in a bowl too) without the egg whites acting as a glue and sticking egg bits to my fingers.

i rinse, dry, bake, crush, then add the powder to their feed. I also use the powder in compost and when I plant tomatoes.

For those that don’t bake and feed shells without mixing with oyster shell or feed - do you ever have problems with chickens going after the eggs in the nesting box?
That's a whole lot of work! Why do you rinse them? And why both dry and bake? Seems like too many steps to this process. And why crush them to a powder? The chickens need to be able to see and identify the eggshells, so they can regulate how much they eat based on their needs. If you hide eggshell powder in the feed, they won't know how much they're eating, and too much isn't good for them in the long run. Commercial feeds that have calcium added have a formula of calcium to feed that's supposed to provide the right amount, but it's hard to guess if you're just eyeballing it. Especially because chickens' calcium needs vary greatly throughout the year and their lives. When they slow down or stop laying because of molt, winter, sickness, or age, their needs decrease, but if you have a mixed flock, and you pre-mix the calcium (or use layer feed that has added calcium), you're feeding everybody the same amount regardless of their needs, so some chickens will get too much while others may not be getting enough. Having the calcium in a separate container is best, so they can regulate themselves. They know best how much they need.

I believe the only danger in getting eggshells to your chickens is not crushing them or grinding them up enough. From what I have seen and understand chickens are a very visual creature as in monkey see monkey do or in this case, chicken see and chicken do. When one chicken discovers something is good to eat, it doesn't take long for the rest of them to catch on. And if the pieces of shell are too big and the chicken on some level recognizes that the shells that are yummy are the same shells that make up the eggs and then you can get a chicken that starts breaking the eggs just for the shell and the yummy. And then that is a whole other problem. But I'm sure someone disagrees, so go ahead and let me have it.
Broody hens eat the shells of the eggs after the chicks hatch, and those shells only break in two halves, so they resemble an egg a lot more than crushed shells do. And yet hatching chicks doesn’t turn hens into egg eaters. Eating their own shells is literally part of their nature, and nature has ensured that this act won’t sabotage their reproductive success by turning them into egg eaters. The hens that do start eating eggs are rare and are probably responding to the insides of the egg, like if one broke accidentally and they saw what was inside. I highly doubt it’s the shell that’s doing it - because they are meant to eat it after the chick hatches, to replenish their bodies’ reserves, without that becoming a problem.

I was afraid it was feeding them back eggshells that would have had some egg residue still in them. And I have a hen that was breaking eggs to get to the yummy innards and I had to remove her, she seem to break the eggs in other nesting boxes actually caught her in the act of pecking the egg and scratching at it. It would make sense that nature would have its own safeguards to ensure survival of the species. Maybe like you said, it was just an odd bird.
Egg eaters suck, especially when they start teaching the others! But I bet she would've still done that even if you'd never fed her eggshells. Even people who feed oyster shell (or only use layer feed with no other calcium) report the occasional egg eater, so it can't be the egg shells... just bad luck...

Back
Top Bottom