Oyster shell vs egg shell

I remove as much of the inner membrane as possible when I rinse them, then just let them air dry. When they're dry, I break them into pieces roughly the size of oyster shell, then feed. Mine like the shells, but don't throw out the oyster shell to get to the egg shells.

One thing I have noticed is that they definitely prefer natural oyster shell to the processed nuggets they sell as "oyster shell."

I remove as much of the inner membrane as possible when I rinse them, then just let them air dry. When they're dry, I break them into pieces roughly the size of oyster shell, then feed. Mine like the shells, but don't throw out the oyster shell to get to the egg shells.

One thing I have noticed is that they definitely prefer natural oyster shell to the processed nuggets they sell as "oyster shell."
Now that I noticed that they prefer the egg shells I put the oyster and egg in a jar and mix them up good so they can't just pick through and get the egg shells out. Now they eat both better instead of picking through. As I said before....my eggs are hard as a brick so they must be getting what they need.

I have never used oyster shell. Only eggshells but they are always available, and I don't have soft shell problems. I grew up on a farm and oyster shell was unheard of back then, especially inland where you don't have an ocean/sea or other source of oyster anywhere nearby. We always fed the chickens eggshells and their eggs were fine. I think oyster shell is just a modern day convenience thing, for people who don't want to bother drying and collecting eggshells (or on a large scale like on farms where it's more practical).

I have never used oyster shell. Only eggshells but they are always available, and I don't have soft shell problems. I grew up on a farm and oyster shell was unheard of back then, especially inland where you don't have an ocean/sea or other source of oyster anywhere nearby. We always fed the chickens eggshells and their eggs were fine. I think oyster shell is just a modern day convenience thing, for people who don't want to bother drying and collecting eggshells (or on a large scale like on farms where it's more practical).
My grandmother has always used oyster shell - but we live near the coast

I have 2 RIR hens. I feed them Kruse's Perfection Brand scratch and Flock Party egg maker crumbles and pellets

Back
Top Bottom