oyster shell.

Teresa D

Songster
May 18, 2020
Wisconsin
Can I feed real oyster shell to my chickens with out processing them by boiling or baking. I just made fresh oyster stew and though I could give the shells to the chickens as a treat.

Baking the shells insure that any mold or bacteria is killed off. It also makes them easier to break down... I would be afraid that just giving them without baking could cause the crop to become impacted.... this you DO NOT want to happen; leads to sour crop which is very difficult to treat and often times fatal. Better to be safe than sorry.

I recently acquired some real oyster shells and was about to send you a message Storm. Do you think laying them out in the hot sun for a couple of days would do the trick? I have them all outside spread on a screen now. Thanks

I recently acquired some real oyster shells and was about to send you a message Storm. Do you think laying them out in the hot sun for a couple of days would do the trick? I have them all outside spread on a screen now. Thanks
I haven't a clue. In nature, I'm sure that's what chickens rely on to occur. I would be more confident if it occured under more controlled conditions, however.

Back
Top Bottom