Oyster shells with feed

hannbro

Hatching
Jul 29, 2020
Hey y’all...I’m pretty sure I had an egg laid without a shell today. I’m not sure if that’s possible...but it looked like there might have been a yolk in there somewhere. But was just a wad of “something”. Anyway...my chickens are still on grower as they just turned 18 weeks and I only have 2 of 6 hens laying so far. I was going to start oyster shells. Do you mix these in with feed or usually just give separately? And is it okay to do this even with them still on grower? Thanks!

Give it to them in a separate dish and they should eat what they need. When they start laying it can take a little while for their systems to get the process right, so it may not necessarily be a lack of calcium, but it's good for them to have that option.

Separately.

And yes "shell-less" eggs happen, the egg skips past the shell building stage. It is most common with pullets that just started laying or sometimes older birds and usually has nothing to do with a lack of calcium, though thin shelled eggs can signal a calcium deficiency.

Last edited:
Thank you!! I’ll start it tomorrow.
If 2 pullets are already laying, I would start feeding the oyster shell yesterday. Without the extra calcium in her diet to make the eggshell, her body will remove it from her bones.
I also like to put my OS dispensers in high traffic zones so it's always "in their face". I have one hanging next to the feed trough, another hanging right at face height next to the door out of the run and a crushed eggshell feeder in the coop.

I offer Oyster Shells separately after 15 weeks old. The Pullets take as needed. 20181214_095753.jpg . GC

Thank you all so much! I put Oyster Shells out 2 days ago. Maybe a pint jar full...and they’ve definitely been consuming them. Apparently they were more Calcium deficient than I knew. I’ll start my next pullets at 15 weeks like you suggested! Again, thank you all! So glad to have these forums for assistance and reassurance.

I just gave our first flock their first try at oyster shell too, and they devoured it like it was mealworms! A quart jar's worth in a single day between the 20 birds, and only 3 of them have laid so far (a single tiny egg each). I'm hoping that after having it accessible for a week or two they'll stop scarfing it down like snack food and moderate themselves.

They are doing the same thing with grit right now, a 5 gallon bucket was gone in a little over a week and they are only getting occasional grains/cracked corn to supplement their feed and greens, so shouldn't need that much.

I just gave our first flock their first try at oyster shell too, and they devoured it like it was mealworms! A quart jar's worth in a single day between the 20 birds, and only 3 of them have laid so far (a single tiny egg each). I'm hoping that after having it accessible for a week or two they'll stop scarfing it down like snack food and moderate themselves.

They are doing the same thing with grit right now, a 5 gallon bucket was gone in a little over a week and they are only getting occasional grains/cracked corn to supplement their feed and greens, so shouldn't need that much.

Good to hear my girls aren't the only ones snarfing down both grit and oyster shells. At least 3 of 9 started laying this week at 19 weeks old and I've had to refill both grit and oyster shell daily. Glad they are eating the oyster shell, though, as we were going to keep them on starter/grower feed.

Back
Top Bottom