Oyster shells with feed

In addition to giving oyster shell (provided in a separate, small ceramic bowl), I take the empty eggshells, nuke them in the microwave for just over a minute, then pulverize the eggshells and dump them in with the oyster shell. Free calcium, with some size variety.

is there a time that is too early to start them on oyster shells? i am of the mind set that calcium is good for the bones even if they have really not started laying and are no where near it yet. if they get a good amount of calcium now later when they do start laying their bodies will be better prepped no?

Chickens not actively laying eggs will get what they need for a good all-flock or chick feed, without extra calcium. It's when the pullet starts laying eggs that her need for calcium increases dramatically, and the extra oyster shell is necessary. It does no harm to have that dish of oyster shell out there sooner, the birds will try it, and not really eat very much until they are laying eggs.
Overdosing calcium is bad news! Feed balanced diets, have the oyster shell available, and it will be fine. Adding some egg shell is okay, but won't meet their needs if it's all you offer. The oyster shell is necessary.
Birds fed layer feed may also eat some oyster shell, but will eat less of it.
Mary

Last edited:
So in short what you are saying is offer it up to them and they will chose to take it or not. They can or they know when they need to add in more calcium all by themselves. But if not offered up they will be lacking in calcium at some point, if only giving layer feed. Right ?

Layer feed is meant to have plenty of calcium, but some very high producing hens need still more, and that's why having the oyster shell out there is good insurance for them. Also, if they are eating anything else, it changes the layer feed's balanced nutrition.
This year I have one brown Leghorn, who lays more eggs per week than many, and her egg shells were getting very thin. I moved the oyster shell feeder from a back corner of the coop to right next to the door, and her shells have been fine since.
She didn't need layer feed, but wasn't getting into the oyster shell where it had been.
Mary

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom