Pain relief; likely cancer

cate1124

Songster
12 Years
Jul 3, 2011
Hello, All: My 7-year-old Welsummer has slowed down visibly in the last few days; when I picked her up to palpate her abdomen and check for egg-binding (as a precaution; she has not laid this season), I noted that much of the area ahead of her vent, on her underside, is just ... hard. It seems highly likely a large mass is growing there, which would also explain why she is walking more awkwardly and standing/sitting more.

Her weight is still good, and she is eating. She is bright-eyed. She is roosting. She is hanging with the flock, and sometimes enforces peck order. So while I hope for a rapid decline and natural death, it's likely her dying will progress more slowly. I'd like to mitigate any pain she may be feeling, or will be, without causing undue stress. (Of my nine, she least likes to be handled). She'll probably take 1/2 81 mg aspirin in a bit of ground beef, and I could do that 2-3 times a day. Does that sound about right as a dosage? Any other ideas?

Thanks. I hate this part.

Hello, All: My 7-year-old Welsummer has slowed down visibly in the last few days; when I picked her up to palpate her abdomen and check for egg-binding (as a precaution; she has not laid this season), I noted that much of the area ahead of her vent, on her underside, is just ... hard. It seems highly likely a large mass is growing there, which would also explain why she is walking more awkwardly and standing/sitting more.

Her weight is still good, and she is eating. She is bright-eyed. She is roosting. She is hanging with the flock, and sometimes enforces peck order. So while I hope for a rapid decline and natural death, it's likely her dying will progress more slowly. I'd like to mitigate any pain she may be feeling, or will be, without causing undue stress. (Of my nine, she least likes to be handled). She'll probably take 1/2 81 mg aspirin in a bit of ground beef, and I could do that 2-3 times a day. Does that sound about right as a dosage? Any other ideas?

Thanks. I hate this part.
I use this.
https://www.viovet.co.uk/Metacam-Or... Metacam&utm_term=metacam&utm_content=Metacam
https://www.metacam.com/
You may find the same stuff by searching for this.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meloxicam

I also use Meloxicam, but here in the states, we can't get it without a prescription.

Chickens can have meloxicam, ibuprofen, and aspirin, but not very much.

According to this source below, 1/2 baby aspirin is too much. The dose is 2.27 mg per pound of bodyweight three times a day.
aspirin_8.png

According to the source below, the ibuprofen dose for ducks is 5-10 mg/kg 2-3 times a day. One of my friends saw the vet recently and their vet prescribed the more conservative amount, so that is the amount I would recommend.

ibuprofen_1.png

Using the children's formula below I would give 0.11 ml per pound of body weight orally twice a day. This dose is for products that say 100 mg per 5 ml or 20 mg per ml.
ibuprofen_2.jpg

If using this infant one (50 mg per 1.25 ml) the dose would be ~0.06 ml per pound of bodyweight twice a day.
ibuprofen 40 mg_ml.png

Disclaimer
Always check my math!

Attachments

• avian pain VetFolio_1.pdf
    121.5 KB · Views: 3
I also use Meloxicam, but here in the states, we can't get it without a prescription.

Chickens can have meloxicam, ibuprofen, and aspirin, but not very much.

According to this source below, 1/2 baby aspirin is too much. The dose is 2.27 mg per pound of bodyweight three times a day.
aspirin_8.png

According to the source below, the ibuprofen dose for ducks is 5-10 mg/kg 2-3 times a day. One of my friends saw the vet recently and their vet prescribed the more conservative amount, so that is the amount I would recommend.

ibuprofen_1.png

Using the children's formula below I would give 0.11 ml per pound of body weight orally twice a day. This dose is for products that say 100 mg per 5 ml or 20 mg per ml.
ibuprofen_2.jpg

If using this infant one (50 mg per 1.25 ml) the dose would be ~0.06 ml per pound of bodyweight twice a day.
ibuprofen 40 mg_ml.png

Disclaimer
Always check my math!

Thanks. Whatever I give her needs to be a smallish pill I can just tuck into treat, as she is highly stressed by handling. Crappy enough to be terminally ill without your human stressing you. :)

I've used 1/2 a baby aspirin once or twice a day over extended stretches with hens who had joint inflammation, so I think it would be OK in this context as well. That said, it would be easy enough to quarter the aspirin, to roughly 20 mg, and offer that 2-3 times a day. (She likely weighs around 3 kg.) I appreciate your diligence about dosing!

Back
Top Bottom