Paint for inside chicken coop

So this is my list (of the indoor coop brands mentioned):
Kilz
Sherwin Williams
Harmony Paint
Kwall

The big thing for me is easy cleanup. So high gloss? On just the floor or the walls as well?
Oil-based vs. latex ... the only down side of oil is the water making the paint peel, correct? I plan (in the annual coop-cleanup) to wash the walls down with water .. will this be a problem?
I also need to consider prices ... we're already over 100$ on this project!
hide.gif

Thanks 4 help!!

Quote:
If you have a choice, I would suggest semigloss. Reason being, it is easier to paint over (with less prep required -- high-gloss really needs to be significantly sanded down if you want a re-coat to stick) while still being just as easy to clean.

Realistically, though, I'd go with whatever (within reason) you can get for free or cheap, cuz it just doesn't MATTER (brand either).

Oil-based vs. latex ... the only down side of oil is the water making the paint peel, correct? I plan (in the annual coop-cleanup) to wash the walls down with water .. will this be a problem?

Wet wood will make ANY paint peel; it is not really an oil vs latex paint issue.

You don't really need to be hosing down your coop though
wink.png
and it is not going to do any favors for the longevity of the wood, no matter *what* it is painted with (b/c realistically there WILL be crevices and scrapes and such where the water gets in and stays). Only done annually that's not a big problem, but still, just so's you know it is not necessary.

I also need to consider prices ... we're already over 100$ on this project!

Just see what your friends/relatives/neighbors have dribs and drabs of, sitting around in their basements or garages. As long as the paint is young enough, and stored tightly-sealed enough, that you can adequate remix it, leftovers are FINE for coops. Also some areas have municipal recycling centers with paint exchanges. Also if you have a Habitat for Humanity ReStore near you, or certain other types of recycling yards, they usually sell paint remnants for real cheap.

Pat​

Seriously, why use a paint you need a primer with? More money and more work...

Urethane deck paints. No primer, high solids which means high gloss. Any color you want and last forever. It's what they put on porch floors so $35 a gallon and one gallon covers 350 to 400 sqft. One coat and impervious to water.

OK, actually on raw wood one coat will only cover about 300 SQFT, second coat if ya want one covers 400 SQFT. Yes, it's oil based but all good, one disposable brush and one roller cover your throwing out after.

Last edited:
Thompsons water seal is 90% paint thinner and 10% silicone. U can use it, I don't care for it whatsoever. Put a fan to it for a couple of days to e-vap the thinner.
I suggest oil based anything on bare wood, maybe two coats. This will act as a primer, then wait min. 24 hrs. Then latex anything (cheap, cheap:yiipchick ) for a top coat. The higher the gloss the easier the clean up. Highest glosses are achieved with oil based paints. Make sure to caulk edges and corners to help keep moisture out .If you silicone (rubber) as a caulking it must be painted within one hour with oil base, beyond that, nothing sticks to silicone, not even more silicone. They do make a paintable silicone but everything costs money. A 15 year latex interior/exterior caulking is best fro around $2.00

Back
Top Bottom