Paint or Splash silkie- what is the difference and how do you tell?

They really are very similar but the descriptions are excellent. I think the paints are way less spotty from what I have seen. But still very pretty!
big_smile.png

Jen, they are still very new. They need more work for type and size. Some, as Bren is calling them, are loud. With large dark patches of black all over. Some only have a single spot

Its a work in progress with experimentation continuing to try to get a better idea on what creates a loud paint over one that has just a couple of spots.

Quote:
Thanks my paints came from: Bren, Deb Stein, & Bobbi Porto. My splash came from Bobbi Porto also.
lol.png

I can't wait till they start laying. I want a SG Paint.

Jen, I recommend Getting a paint from Bren or Deb Stein. If they have any left and it isn't too hot to ship from Texas yet.

Ok so I REALLY like paint and splash silkies and i want to get one so I can breed them with my 'blue' silkie rooster.
Which would be best so i can get more offspring of the splashes/paints? Should I get a white, splash, or paint. If I breed white with blue will it make splash?

Need expert evaluations, please.

I bought this chick "Dizzle" at a local swap as a potential girlfriend for my silkie cockerel who just can't "get a home run" with my big girls and a competing alpha orpington cockerel.

I was told at time of purchase this chick was a 1 week old sizzle. Within a couple week, a singular black feather appeared on a wing.

Chick is now almost 2 months old. Black feathers abound. And I don't see any evidence of frizzling. But I'm a novice, and that's where you all come in. :)

So... my questions:
1. sizzle or not? maybe just a carrier of the frizzle gene because it doesn't appear to be expressed in this chick.
2. is this chick splash or paint? is there an actual difference between those two terms or do they mean same thing?

TIA!

EDIT: The black feathers are black down to the skin. Of note, however, the black feathers located in the wings while black to the skin, are tipped in white.

Last edited:
Ok, I have a chick, about 40 days old, that'd be about 6 weeks. It is mostly white , grey skin rather than black and almost barred primary and secondary wing feathers. The barring may be present on the tail however there are a lot of white plumes and the crest is dark in the front and white in the back... Barred splash?!

I have some kiddos as well and was looking for proper variety inputView attachment 2405719

Welcome to BYC! :D

Those cuties look like paints to me seeing as the spots are fairly dark and the background is looking fairly white. The one on the far right definitely looks like a paint with those lovely large black spots. I suspect they all are, only the one on the far left had me wondering but I think she is probably a paint with smaller more numerous spots. :)

It sure can be tough to tell the difference sometimes, paints can look very splash like when the spots are smaller and more numerous. You can even end up with silkies that are both paint and splash in a single bird (it's not a recognized color but can happen if blue accidently ends up in the mix when breeding paints). :lol:

Back
Top Bottom