Paint Project

That is good to know. I missed all the hype before 2012 about the Porcelain, Lavender, and Paint varieties. Everything I know now is already dated. You have far better knowledge than I do about what is going on in the show world since I pretty much just read about it and look at pictures.

I'm a member of the Silkie Club as of last year and didn't vote on anything. Blue Cream for Porcelain is something I've read but still confuses me. There is already so much confusion about Blue and Lavender. I don't have any Blue birds in my flock for the reason I don't want to pollute my Lavender bred birds. (When I get enough Lav in my breeding) that is. I just have one Lavender hen and the one Paint cock. I've never hatched an egg between the two.

From what I could find on BYC, quite a few red paint birds like yours have popped up from Catdance bred Paints. Most came from Paint x recessive white. This makes me feel that the red Pyle is leaked from the dominate white in Karen's Paints. My catdance paint male seems silver. I will be so interested to see if he throws red leakage in offspring from my recessive white hens. Or will the silver gene dominate and prevent it? Another thing I'm waiting on are these three white chicks I have now. I've read some plain white chicks from Karen's paint strain develop black and red feathers after eight weeks. To find out, I will grow out every chick I hatch from Dapper Dan.

I am a member also and I did not vote on it either. Whenever I do searches on the club's website it never pops up either. Just discussions. So maybe it was some of the regions that did the voting, I don't know.

I would like to see some of those pictures of Karen's bred birds. Since we are both using her lines we will likely have at least some similar results.

My F1's were CatDance parents on both sides. But I have an F2 paint baby that is from the paint female with the big black spot on her cushion and passed it on to her offspring. This baby was from a test hatch to see if my pullet's eggs were fertile. :D The baby's spots are becoming more prominent the bigger he/she gets. (the first 3 pictures from about 3 weeks ago, the last 4 from last week)

I am a member also and I did not vote on it either. Whenever I do searches on the club's website it never pops up either. Just discussions. So maybe it was some of the regions that did the voting, I don't know.

I would like to see some of those pictures of Karen's bred birds. Since we are both using her lines we will likely have at least some similar results.

My F1's were CatDance parents on both sides. But I have an F2 paint baby that is from the paint female with the big black spot on her cushion and passed it on to her offspring. This baby was from a test hatch to see if my pullet's eggs were fertile.
big_smile.png
The baby's spots are becoming more prominent the bigger he/she gets. (the first 3 pictures from about 3 weeks ago, the last 4 from last week)

I LOVE this image of the three! Beautiful!

I found some interesting info and pictures here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/429754/the-american-paint-silkie/1220#post_8942030://

I've got two dozen eggs from two pens testing for fertility in the incubator now. My male is so picky who he will mate with. I've got him rotating between the two pens to try and keep him interested. He's a horn dog for my BRIR hens so I thought I'd let him at them and put my best in type recessive hen in there too. Guess I'll start a red silkie pen with those chicks. I have three right now that I call Barnies that I was going to give a way as pets but now I'll try them out. Just what I need. Another difficult silkie project.
gig.gif

I LOVE this image of the three! Beautiful!

I found some interesting info and pictures here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/429754/the-american-paint-silkie/1220#post_8942030:// 

I've got two dozen eggs from two pens testing for fertility in the incubator now. My male is so picky who he will mate with. I've got him rotating between the two pens to try and keep him interested. He's a horn dog for my BRIR hens so I thought I'd let him at them and put my best in type recessive hen in there too. Guess I'll start a red silkie pen with those chicks. I have three right now that I call Barnies that I was going to give a way as pets but now I'll try them out. Just what I need. Another difficult silkie project. :gig  

Thank you! I've got one more from that test hatch, they usually hang together, I don't know where she was.

I just started another dozen paint and white eggs on the first.

You know my boy has favorites also. I have one sweet little buff girl that just stays practically bald because she is the favorite.

I want to breed lavender partridges. I have only seen a couple of pictures but man they are gorgeous. I am crossing my boy with my partridge girls, then I have to breed the daughters back to him. Just getting started on it so I will see how it goes. Yes, are we crazy or what??? Ha! Ha! Ha! :lau

Karen Lawsen's photo credits

I think that guy in your link is really pretty! You don't like that? Maybe my boy will get more red in his wings the older he gets. I like his type a lot, he looks CatDance doesn't he? Above are pictures of Karen's that I saved off the internet. If you notice that first boy of Karen's has the red wings. I wish I could find a side shot of him. These are all paint boys she has had for sale.

HAH! You and I are two peas in a pod! I also was thinking about Lavender Partridge pen! My male must have a Partridge gene because I'm getting half of all his chicks in Partridge pattern! My Porcelain project has four partridge. I was thinking about crossing some of them on Lavender. That would work right? Lav in the Porcelain x with my partridge hen, and then those chicks crossed with pure lav would make all chicks split? Some of them would be lav, some black, some white (because of my recessive white x) some porcelain, and some lavender partridge?

My husband built me two more trio pens behind the barn this week. I will be moving Dapper Dan the paint between three of them every other day.

I have also saved Karen's Silkie images into a folder. Except the one with red wing patches. I'm just not a fan of the red pyle look. It reminds me of blood stains, or a chicken rolled in tomato juice. I just cringe when I see birds colored that way. Just a weird way of seeing it from my perspective. But then when I think about the colors of chickens I've raised over the years, the loud colored ones are not in any of my flocks now.

I have raised Cubalaya, Golden Duckwing Phoenix, Buttercup, Lakenvelder, Black Jersey Giant, Spangled Hamburg, White crested Polish, and HRIR in LF. Buff Brahama, Old English in Black Breasted Red, Cochin, Bantam single comb RIR, and Seabrights in bantam. The Silkies were always my favorite and in muted soft colors.

Yes, I would say he has a partridge gene too. Yes, Sonoran told me I would have to have two of the lavender genes in order to dilute the partridge. She has a blue partridge hen that is so soft and muted that I just love. I love the soft colors also, but now and again a little spicy too! Ha! Ha!

Here is another of my paint hens that I haven't pictured much. She has beautiful conformation, but doesn't have a lot of visible spots though they are there. You can see them in some pictures easier than others. She is a full sister of the large spot girl - Daddy is the CatDance lavender and Momma the CatDance original Momma.

in the front

on the left

already posted this one but she is on the left here with the large black spot girl

They are just dirty. The girls are all bright white.

Yes, I would say he has a partridge gene too. Yes, Sonoran told me I would have to have two of the lavender genes in order to dilute the partridge. She has a blue partridge hen that is so soft and muted that I just love. I love the soft colors also, but now and again a little spicy too! Ha! Ha!

Here is another of my paint hens that I haven't pictured much. She has beautiful conformation, but doesn't have a lot of visible spots though they are there. You can see them in some pictures easier than others. She is a full sister of the large spot girl - Daddy is the CatDance lavender and Momma the CatDance original Momma.

It's the Lav/lav that always trips me up. I think once I get a Lavender breeding pen going next year, it will be clearer in my head.

I like this image because it clearly shows the contrast. You like spicy silkies on occasion kind of like a little Tabasco in the scrambled eggs is good once in a while but the whole bottle a bit much. I agree!
lol.png

The sky was overcast here this morning so I took more pic's of the chicks.

The two paint chicks are getting more spots each day a new feather comes in.

The pictures aren't really clear because the little beggars were always moving. But those black spots are there.

Exactly like Tabasco. Say...that would be a good chicken name. Maybe I should call that red paint Tabasco. What do you think? He looks like somebody sprinkled some on his wings.

Yep, I can see the spots. They are all getting so fluffy! That one little blue partridge (upper right corner) looks like a ball of fluff! Is her crest really that full already???

Exactly like Tabasco. Say...that would be a good chicken name. Maybe I should call that red paint Tabasco. What do you think? He looks like somebody sprinkled some on his wings.

Yep, I can see the spots. They are all getting so fluffy! That one little blue partridge (upper right corner) looks like a ball of fluff! Is her crest really that full already???
Hah! Tabasco is a good name for your red paint! Get him with a like colored paint hen named Salsa and you've got something going. Double Hah!
clap.gif

You may win me over to the red paint band wagon. It means more trio pens and I'm ok with that.

I had 100% hatch of the nine eggs in this F1 batch. That gives me seventeen total now. Three paints as of today. And this paint chick is the best of all of them. The spots are big. It has a vaulted skull which means large crest, and it has heavily feathered feet! These three traits make it better than Dapper Dan my Paint male! I'm very excited about this chick. The last to hatch is still drying in the incubator. Another partridge colored chick. That gives me nine partridge colored chicks. I can start a partridge project with these babies.
wee.gif

Largest spots of any paint chick I've hatched yet. Including my paint male. Yellow hue to the down around the head, neck, and shoulders.

Pigment holes on the toes and pink skin here and there too. Typical for these chicks.

Crossing my Paint male on recessive white has given me an education in genetics. The more I learn, the less I understand. Hah!
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom