Painting toes

gabbi126

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 13, 2013
clark county WA
So i was wondering can i paint a chickens toes/sharp claws with regular toe nail polish?

I did it to my pups toes and she is fine. So i was just wondering if i could or is it not good for them?

Ok thanks. I want to do it to my black buff she has white/cream toes. Altho she might not be the best cause she is not a fan of being handled. I might just do it to one of the others that stays still long enough.

We have trouble telling our chickens apart - we have 3 BOs and 3 RIRs. My DH suggested painting their toe nails so we would know "that's Gladys and that's Daisy". So I did a search on painting toe nails and here it is :)
I am hesitant to paint toe nails because I'm afraid they will peck at it and get sick.

We can tell the reds from the buffs obviously, but we having trouble telling the ones from the other among their respective breeds. The only ones we know for sure are Oda Mae (the largest red and also the lead hen) and Buttercup (the two-toned buff).

Last edited:
We have trouble telling our chickens apart - we have 3 BOs and 3 RIRs. My DH suggested painting their toe nails so we would know "that's Gladys and that's Daisy". So I did a search on painting toe nails and here it is :)
I am hesitant to paint toe nails because I'm afraid they will peck at it and get sick.

We can tell the reds from the buffs obviously, but we having trouble telling the ones from the other among their respective breeds. The only ones we know for sure are Oda Mae (the largest red and also the lead hen) and Buttercup (the two-toned buff).

Old thread, but I should think a better option if telling chickens apart is the issue, wouldn't leg bands be a better option? If you've got bands of the same colour, you could mark the bands themselves, rather than resort to marking the chickens.

Back
Top Bottom