Pale and dry comb

Lymphoid leucosis is an avian virus, very, very common. It's similar to Marek's but caused by a different virus. If this is what is making your hen sick, likely, the flock you got her from has it. All chickens exposed to it become carriers, although not all carriers of the virus become sick and die. Flock owners with this virus often never realize it's in their flock as only occasional chickens die from it.

Unfortunately, your hen will likely die if this is what she has. The only way to know is to have a necropsy done after she dies. Usually, the identifying feature of leucosis is a grossly enlarged liver. It's easy to spot even by a chicken owner doing their own necropsy.

My flock carries this virus, and when I took the young rooster in for the necropsy that identified the virus, he had a two pound liver.

Your hen will let you know when she wants it to end. She will close her eyes and stop eating, and will not move or be responsive. Or she may still be alert, but will not be able to move or eat.

Lymphoid leucosis is an avian virus, very, very common. It's similar to Marek's but caused by a different virus. If this is what is making your hen sick, likely, the flock you got her from has it. All chickens exposed to it become carriers, although not all carriers of the virus become sick and die. Flock owners with this virus often never realize it's in their flock as only occasional chickens die from it.

Unfortunately, your hen will likely die if this is what she has. The only way to know is to have a necropsy done after she dies. Usually, the identifying feature of leucosis is a grossly enlarged liver. It's easy to spot even by a chicken owner doing their own necropsy.

My flock carries this virus, and when I took the young rooster in for the necropsy that identified the virus, he had a two pound liver.

Your hen will let you know when she wants it to end. She will close her eyes and stop eating, and will not move or be responsive. Or she may still be alert, but will not be able to move or eat.
Thank you so much. I have another bird that isn’t as lively and not interested in snacks. She’s molting and has been broody. Yesterday she pooped clear liquid bubbles. That was concerning since my other hen is sick. Have you ever seen this?

Attachments

• IMG_2718.jpeg
    IMG_2718.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
Molt can affect some chickens as seriously as an illness. Most suffer a decrease in appetite, but occasionally one will stop eating all together. I have one in my flock right now that has quit eating, lost half her body weight, and was beginning to fade. Yesterday, I intervened and tube fed her some raw egg, pureed Fancy Feast beef, Nutri-drench , a dash of baby cereal, and a teaspoon of sugar. It revived her almost miraculously, but she still refuses to eat, so she will get another tube feeding in the morning.

There is a chance your hen has an infection, but it's too soon to jump to that diagnosis. Sometimes just a little sugar in the water can bounce a chicken back to normal. I'd try that. Also, I can't recommend Poultry Nutri-drench highly enough. Get some.

Molt can affect some chickens as seriously as an illness. Most suffer a decrease in appetite, but occasionally one will stop eating all together. I have one in my flock right now that has quit eating, lost half her body weight, and was beginning to fade. Yesterday, I intervened and tube fed her some raw egg, pureed Fancy Feast beef, Nutri-drench , a dash of baby cereal, and a teaspoon of sugar. It revived her almost miraculously, but she still refuses to eat, so she will get another tube feeding in the morning.

There is a chance your hen has an infection, but it's too soon to jump to that diagnosis. Sometimes just a little sugar in the water can bounce a chicken back to normal. I'd try that. Also, I can't recommend Poultry Nutri-drench highly enough. Get some.
Oh wow! I can’t even begin to imagine tube feeding! I have the Nutri drench, I’ll give it the flock tomorrow. Is it fine if all the birds drink the sugar water?

Thank you so much for all your help. You guys don’t have to this but you do. I’m so blessed to be part of this group❤️

Tube feeding is a lot easier than most people believe. Remove the mystifying elements by explaining precisely how to do it, and most find it's easier than they thought.

The hardest part is finding the supplies. I got some oxygen tubing from a friend, actually half my friends use oxygen, being old like me. And a fat syringe that will fit into the end of a nine inch piece of plastic tube. Or you can ask a vet to sell you a tube feeding kit. I got one from my vet for $3. Mixing up the liquid food is very easy or you can buy baby bird formula from any pet store.

Then I can give you very simple instructions how to do it. It's especially easy when taking care of a sick chicken as food and medicine can all go into the syringe. About three minutes and you're done feeding.

Tube feeding is a lot easier than most people believe. Remove the mystifying elements by explaining precisely how to do it, and most find it's easier than they thought.

The hardest part is finding the supplies. I got some oxygen tubing from a friend, actually half my friends use oxygen, being old like me. And a fat syringe that will fit into the end of a nine inch piece of plastic tube. Or you can ask a vet to sell you a tube feeding kit. I got one from my vet for $3. Mixing up the liquid food is very easy or you can buy baby bird formula from any pet store.

Then I can give you very simple instructions how to do it. It's especially easy when taking care of a sick chicken as food and medicine can all go into the syringe. About three minutes and you're done feeding.
That’s awesome, thank you🙏🏼

Good morning. Waffles hasn’t eaten for a couple of days. I haven’t seen her drink any water. She just lays there but will get up if we move her (like when we clean out her cage) but will lay down right away. I’m just so distraught and emotional. I feel like we are just watching her starve to death and it’s horrible. Should we try to give her fluids with a syringe or do we just let her lie there in peace. I’m assuming it’s safe to safe there is no chance of her coming back around right?🥹

Back
Top Bottom