Pale comb, slow walk and a bit hunched up

La Honda Chicken Lady

Hatching
10 Years
Nov 10, 2009
Good morning - I just found all of you last night and immediately joined the club!

I have a nice mixed flock of hens (the boys have to go on vacation elsewhere). But, I have a problem with one of my hens (favorite of course). She is a lovely hen with a large red comb. But, three days ago I noticed that her comb has shrunk and become a pale washed out pink. She is also starting to demonstrate a slow tentative walk and her tail feathers are standing up as usual. At first, I thought that all of this might be due to her final stages of molting.

Could this be a crop problem? I lost two hens about 6 months ago to what may have been the crop thing that has been posted on this forum. I will isolate her today and go get some of the epson salts etc.. But, could this be something different than crop?

I would appreciate any input or advice. Thank you, La Honda Chicken Lady

First let me say
welcome-byc.gif

And i am sorry that you lost a few, and that one is not doing good.

good start was to isolate her,

Is her crop swollen? if not i dought it is a crop issue.

How is her poop?
Is sh edrinking water normally?

Well I just pulled her in from the coop and felt her crop. She is not roosting but hiding in nest box. It seems full and I will check first thing in the morning. Her poop seems runny but I should have good samples in the morning.

I will see how tomorrow morning. KP

How she doing this morning?
a good thing to do, is put some apple cider viniger in there water, if she is down from her crop being to hard.
this helps a bit with digestion, also you can pour some olive oil or vege oil down her throught and massage her crop it will help brake up what in her crop.

Good morning - I just went out to visit my poor little one and she is just lying in her cage. Her eyes are bright, no wheezing or funny breathing, comb and wattles very very pale, face seems pale too. The poops are very watery with some with discharge. The crop doesn't seem enlarged. Her breast bone is sticking out a lot. Feels very bony.

I lost two chickens about 6 months ago that had some of the same behaviours but not all. The other two did a weird head dip and had trouble walking. Their head combs didn't look adnormal. But, like the current chicken, they stopped eating and tried to hide in the coop. I didnt' know to check the crop so they were not checked out.

Any thoughts? Kristen:(

Quote:
First you should bring her were she is warm, sick birds die and get worse quicker when they are cold, i have learned this from experience.

If she has no nasel discharge or sneezing or respitory sounds fine. then rule out resipitory colds.

now what could be happeing is worms, or mights or lice, all of these will couse them loose weight get week, all of that.

so you should 1 get some powder for mights, i forget the name i have mine outside, powder all the birds.

now get a dewormer from a tractor supply comp, or any comp, that carrys feed for your chickens. and deworm all the birds.

and start them on some yogurt mixed with there food for 3 days straight, this will help with some weight gain.

i mix yogurt with cooked plain rice with there feed.

Okay, I will get her warm and drive over to get the mite powder and deworming medication. Yogurt too. I'll check her crop again to see if she has any mass.

How often do you worm chickens? Is this a bi annual or as needed thing? KP

Quote:
I belive it is add needed, but check the instructions on the package that you buy, i also will be getting some, this my first time as well.

dont think mine have any but when you have issue off lost weight and no reason, you have to take that step for precoution.

Well my little chicken died today. I suspect that is was worms or something. I did go buy the working solution and mite control powder. If it is worms, it's time to take care of the rest of the flock. What is weird is that my chicken's comb was so shrunken and pale. Even her wattles were in the same shape. My other two chickens didn't have that wasted look to their heads.

Quote:
Oh i am so sorry, i was thinkingh that last night.

yes treat the others.

yea whenevr a hen or roo gets sick there combs and waddles get pale, that is a sighn that something is up, also sometimes if the comb gets dark like a black or purple also something is up.

I hope the others will be ok, it sounds as if they will be.

Back
Top Bottom