Pallet coop In Work. . .

snooptwomey

Songster
8 Years
Aug 26, 2011
Newark, DE
Here is the floor done and bottom half of 3 walls. Floor is plastic pallets. its on 4" by 4" legs to level it since I live on the bottom of the Mt. Its coming along pretty easily now. I am going to put one more pallet high for the walls. making it like 7ft tall

Looking good!!
thumbsup.gif

Its going to end up housing roughly 10 chickens, 2 of which are Jersey Giants. Will end up being approx 8' by 6.5' and 6.5' tall. I will probably have the rest of the 3 walls up, and then will be installing a door that I got off freecycle in the side thats currently wide open still and pallets filling in the rest of that wall, maybe a window on one of the sides. Then the roof will be done during this week. I only have 3 adults chickens right now, and they have a small coop w/attached run thats works for them. But. . . I have 16 chicks in brooders. I am only planning to keep maybe 8 of them and get rid of the rooster I have now, he is no where near as friendly as the ones I am raising right now. I will get some more chicks out of my current rooster since he looks amazing, and try to keep maybe 2 pullets that I like the look of before I get rid of him. Then I will hopefully end up with the 7 week old all black ee roo i am raising now, and hopefully one of the 2 jersey giant chicks I have is a roo and one a pullet. I want the black ee roo and a jersey giant roo, and then 8 hens. 1 jersey giant, 2 red sex links, 1 auburn java, 1 blue laced red wyandotte, and 3 EE's. I want a nice colorful flock. :) I have 6 red links, and a couple ee's to get rid of.

Looks good so far
thumbsup.gif
. Would love to see some more pics as you go. Im doing a pallet coop also. Taking me a wile to finish. Still got a way to go . Keep up the good work :)

I just helped a buddy build one yesterday. its a square coop, 1 pallet each side. I had 1 plastic pallet left, so i brought that to use as the floor. then we stuck the 2 side walls up quick, threw a pallet on the back, screwd the three together, and all three into the floor. then put a 2 plank perch from one side wall to the other. for roof I had a plastic lid from a shipping crate thats the same dimensions as a pallet, dropped that on top for a roof, and then took a piece of plywood, cut out an opening for the chickens, and placed that up against the front for the front wall, used string for a hinge point on one side, and the other has a medal eyelet screwed in and some string to tie that side shut. Took us all of like 3 hours. very simple, and should last a couple years atleast. wish i took a pic. i will get one

I just helped a buddy build one yesterday. its a square coop, 1 pallet each side. I had 1 plastic pallet left, so i brought that to use as the floor. then we stuck the 2 side walls up quick, threw a pallet on the back, screwd the three together, and all three into the floor. then put a 2 plank perch from one side wall to the other. for roof I had a plastic lid from a shipping crate thats the same dimensions as a pallet, dropped that on top for a roof, and then took a piece of plywood, cut out an opening for the chickens, and placed that up against the front for the front wall, used string for a hinge point on one side, and the other has a medal eyelet screwed in and some string to tie that side shut. Took us all of like 3 hours. very simple, and should last a couple years atleast. wish i took a pic. i will get one

Sounds cool . Hope to see some pics. Mine is a bigger model. 9x9 Also 8' 8" tall slanted down to 7' . I'm no carpenter . I'm kinda lost on the roof. not sure about the over hang . I just do a little each day. I'm slowing down now
old.gif
Here is a pic of where im at.

If I had the right tools it would go a lot faster LOL

that coop looks good, very structurally sound. I am just lucky I have a sawzall, circular saw, several drills. Been coming together ok. I need to get my roof beams in like yours is.

that coop looks good, very structurally sound. I am just lucky I have a sawzall, circular saw, several drills. Been coming together ok. I need to get my roof beams in like yours is.

Chain saw works good too. Just watch out for nails LOL. I was going to go with a wood floor but I like the dirt floor better :)

Back
Top Bottom