Palm Beach County, FL...Relocating with 30 chickens!

Aime137

Songster
8 Years
Nov 29, 2012
Loxahatchee, FL
Anyone living in Palm Beach County, Fl?? I need some guidance on where to house hunt and how much property I'm going to have to buy in order to keep my chickens. I have been looking in Loxahatchee and would like to broaden my search. What are the zoning rules concerning poultry? Any insider advice is welcome!

This probably won't help but I grew up in Lantana Fl. (Palm Beach County) outside of city limits and we had chickens, rabbits, ducks but this was 30 years ago! Neighbor had raccoons also.
Internet searches for the town or city government sites, look for the code sections and read and read... just went through all this for where I live and on the surface it seemed we were allowed to have poultry but buried in the residential zoning it was forbidden. So you might have to call someone in the government for the area you are interested like I did to get a better answer.
just a suggestion hope it helps and good luck

This probably won't help but I grew up in Lantana Fl. (Palm Beach County) outside of city limits and we had chickens, rabbits, ducks but this was 30 years ago! Neighbor had raccoons also.
Internet searches for the town or city government sites, look for the code sections and read and read... just went through all this for where I live and on the surface it seemed we were allowed to have poultry but buried in the residential zoning it was forbidden. So you might have to call someone in the government for the area you are interested like I did to get a better answer.
just a suggestion hope it helps and good luck
Thank you! I've been combing through the zoning regulations online. I also pm'd some BYC'ers that live in the area. They have been very helpful in directing me to the agricultural areas down there. For anyone else that may be looking to move to Palm Beach County with their chickens in tow, here is what I've been told:
-Look for over 1 acre in Loxahatchee, Loxahatchee Groves, Jupiter Farms, the Acreage, parts of West Palm Beach, and parts of Lake Worth. Loxahatchee Groves, West Palm Beach, and Lake Worth are "incorporated", so they may be more restrictive.
-For properties under 1 acre, 4 birds per .25 acre are permitted in agriculturally zoned areas.
This was all great information to get me started on my house hunting! Once I find one I'm interested in, I'll definitely put a call in to zoning before making an offer! My greatest relocation nightmare would be to purchase a house and THEN find out I am not allowed to keep my chickens!

Back
Top Bottom