The chicks should grow up to be similar in size to the parents, and the females should lay brown eggs.

Australorp mother, Welsummer father:
Black chicks (like Australorp chicks), grow up black with some bits of red, single combs.
Females might look like Black Sexlink females, but males will not look like Black Sexlink Males.

Silver Laced Wyandotte mother, Welsummer father:
Sexlinked chicks, with silver in the males, gold in the females.
That "silver" in the males may be yellowish or get some red in it, so not the same nice clean silver you see on their mothers.
The "gold" on the females might actually be any shade of gold or red or brown.
Chicks will probably look a lot like Laced Wyandotte chicks at first (color of down, rose combs), but as they grow the pattern of the feathers will probably look a bit different (not quite like the Wyandotte lacing, but not quite like the patterning of a Welsummer either.)

Any chick with a rose comb must have a Wyandotte mother, but there is a chance of a Wyandotte producing a chick with a single comb--you'll have to look at the color of any single combed chicks to figure out which breed of mother they have.
Oh my goodness thank you for the info! I just finished scrolling thru all 78 pages of the mixed breed thread 🥴🥴 I am so excited to watch my little Pepper raise her kids and step-kids hehe

Hi and welcome to BYC! This is a great community of chicken lovers. Feel free to ask any questions you may have!
:welcome

Back
Top Bottom