Paralized Hen?? Ideas Please!!

njwalter2004

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 24, 2013
We have been having a problem with some of our hens and I'm hoping someone might have some insight to help us with! About 2 months ago one of our White leghorn hens developed a limp, at the time we checked for an injuries on her leg or foot but found nothing. We have been closely watching her and some days she will limp where as other days you would never be able to tell that she has a limp at all. She is about 8 months old.

We figured because she was a little more of a flighty bird maybe she landed on it wrong and that we would keep an eye on her because she was eating, drinking well, laying normal, and not getting picked on from the other hens. That was until about 3 weeks ago when another one of our hens started limping as well, same as the other no injuries and everything else ok.

Then 2 weeks ago we had another hen pass away suddenly. She laid an embryo egg and passed away within a few hours, I think due to an impacted egg but not for sure. I just thought it was worth mentioning since I'm not sure what is going on right now.

We have not vaccinated any of the chickens and I'm not sure if the farmer we purchased them from did either. We have added vitamins/ electrolytes to their water for the last 2 weeks as I have seen this recommended for chickens with these types of problems. We have also been adding some homemade yogurt and extra protein to their diet to hopefully help but so far it hasn't.

The thing that is concerning to me is the fact that yesterday and today she will walk a couple steps and then flop down on the ground but she has no limp really. It almost seems like her leg and now her wing as well are just giving out or are becoming paralyzed. For now we have moved her into the house to keep her warm since the last 2 nights have been in the teens, and keep her from jumping and hurting her leg even more. Her stools have been just fine until yesterday evening and now they started becoming water. I'm worried that if I don't do something we will loose her, but I'm not sure what exactly it could be.

Something I am finding interesting is the fact that none of my Iza Brown hens have been effected from this only our White Leghorns, as of right now.

I am planning on heading over to Tractor Supply this morning to pick up some antibiotics because that is the only thing left I can think to do. I just need help on if I should treat the rest of the hens to, or ideas on what could be going would be such a blessing!

Thank you!!

I have been having same problem with ideal buff orpingtons
I have a pullet now that just lays on her side and doesn't even try to stand
Almost like her legs don't work

Also losing millie cochin hens one day
They don't seen to have any problems
They look nice fat healthy next day died
No sneezing coughing anything

I've dealt with the same problem in the past. I'm almost 100% sure you are dealing with birds that have not been vaccinated for Marek's Disease. Unfortunately it is a virus that strikes and has no cure. If it strikes the Sciatic nerve, the bird will go down on one leg. If it strikes the Vegas nerve, one wing will hang down in paralysis. If it strikes an internal organ, the chicken will dehydrate and die. Symptoms are usually seen around 6 to 9 months of age.

Marek's is a Herpes type virus that research has shown to be composed of 6 viruses. One strain attacks older fowl and rapid weight loss is shown, they fall on their sides and twitch before death. The last I heard with these 6 strains is that vaccines developed take care of only 3-4 of these strains. The newest one I know of is called the B-1 vaccine, which was only available in a liquid nitrogen form. It takes care of all 6 strains. I do not know if it is available in the freeze dried form like the older vaccines yet. I may be behind the times.

McMurray and ideal are two hatcheries I've dealt with this problem from in the past, and the birds affected were supposed to have been vaccinated for Marek's. Neither get my business anymore. With mass production, money often takes importance over responsible breeding practices and proper husbandry. Sad but true.

Years ago science discovered that Turkeys do not suffer from Marek's. The Turkey harbors a virus that blocks the Marek's virus from entering the cells of a chicken, and the vaccine was discovered from that. The Turkey virus is a non-infectious type, so it won't infect the chicken. That means it must be given to the chicken young enough before it comes in contact with the Marek's virus (one day old).

I'm sorry both of you and your birds are bearing the burdens of this. If anyone may have more up to date information on the B-1 Marek's vaccine. I'd like to know so I could be more helpful with information in the future.

I agree sadly this sounds like Mareks disease. This does NOT mean all your chickens will succomb to this disease and become ill. But it DOES mean that all the chickens that have been in contact with this virus ARE carriers of the virus. meaning that although they are not ill they can spread the Marek's virus to other birds that you bring on to your property. Mareks can also travel miles in the wind. They're are many folks here on this forum dealing with mareks and they have done substantial reasearch and are very educated on this subject and I'm certain they can help you move foward and deal with this. One thing I suggest you do is take a bird for testing. Unfortunately I believe they take fresh dead or put the animal to sleep for testing. This way you can get a conformation on exactly what your dealing with And know without a doubt that its mareks disease. I would do some research on the mareks virus and look on these forums for help moving foward and managing it. I do wish you The best .

Ok after I cull all my pricey show birds :-:)-( how long do I have to keep birds off property before bring more on
Also I have ducks, geese, pigeon, and emus would it affect them

Also what do I do with cleaning coops, waters and runs? What to use I mean
I hate doing this
Me and my mother have spent soo much money on birds

Back
Top Bottom