paralyzed gosling

KrisRose

Songster
12 Years
Mar 9, 2007
Davison, MI.
Our 5 week old gosling has started to flip over and have what appears to be a sizure. This was just 2 nights ago. She has continued to have these episodes and this morning it looks like she is paralyzed on one side. The other 4 goslings are doing fine. This one is smaller than the others but was developing just fine.
Could this be a minerial defic such as "crooked neck" in chickens? I believe it is eating duck food but it is out grass and also getting bugs and grit.
Anybody also have this problem? We are worried sick. She is the favorite.

Last edited:
It could be a vitamin or Niacin deficiency but you appear to have them on the correct food which makes this unlikely. However I would try some multi vitamins in the water and either Niacin or Brewers Yeast in the food. At least then you can rule out dietry deficiencies.

Is there any possibility of an infection and the toxins are causing the seizures???

Pete
wink.png

She is on multivitamins and antibiotics now with no improvement but its only been 2 days. We have niacin and will also add that to the food. Should I expect to see some kind of improvement around 4 to 6 days? The other gosling that is with her does not seem to have developed any problems.
I talked to lady caring for her and she is not totally paralyzed. She falls to her left but both feet paddle, can only walk a few steps before falling and her neck twists around when laying down and she cant get up. I have high hopes for the vitamins.
Will ck feed to see if any mold has developed. There has been high tems and humidity at end of last week.

Also, are young geese prone to strokes? That was my first thought when I heard about her sizures.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
hi
i had a duck that was one month old who had the same promblem with sezures i cured him buy giving him an eye droper full of vitimin b12 complex and 10000 units of vitimin e oil 2xs a day. he is 13 weeks old and as normal as the rest

A good B vitamin complex should help, make sure its not getting into moldy food as well.
With all the wet weather lately mold has been a real issue here.

Quote:
The food is a new bag but my friend checked it anyway and it looks and smells good. I was worried that the wet weather/humidity had got to it.
We thought that there is a slight improvement but that might be wishful thinking. Keeping the B vitamins in mind if no change by Friday.
Thanks everybody for your help. I will report back on her progress in a few days.

Well our little gosling had to be put down on Saturday. The slight improvement was wishful thinking. Her neck was twisting around even more and she started a high pitched whine. She lost interest in her food and water. At that point we all agree that it was for the best.
We still dont now what the problem was but it did seem to be neurological. There has been some cases of West Nile just south and east of our location but that is just a guess. The other 4 goslings are all doing well and are almost the size of their parents. Pooping up a storm
roll.png
Thanks everyone. I appreciate your help.

Back
Top Bottom