Parents both black, chick is blonde. Why?

Cloverr39

Crowing
Jan 27, 2022
Latvia
I'm positive I accidentally posted this in the wrong spot so feel free to move it to somewhere more fitting.

A silkie chick just hatched. I know who both parents are. Mom is my broody hen Misty (black silkie) and dad is Fluffy (black silkie roo with slight silver leakage in his neck). Chick is blonde with a couple darker orange spots on the bottom of its neck (at least I thought so. The chick is still wet.) I can tell the skin is black so it's definitely a silkie. My theory is that my roo might have some white silkies in him. And the silver leakage of course. If I'm not mistaken the lady I got my roo from said she had like 2 white silkie hens along with black silkies. I also think she has cuckoos but I think they live separately.
At first I thought the chick that hatched was my 2nd bantam brahma × silkie mix (I already hatched one last week) but then I noticed the brahma egg had only pipped (dark spotty egg). So is this possible that the parents might have some lighter colored silkies in their family tree? This is so weird becouse the other chick that hatched from my roo and one of 3 black hens is solid black.

Also the same blonde chick has super thick legs and the comb already looks kinda raised despite I being only a few hours old. Could that mean rooster? I swear the feet were nearly 1cm thick in the place where all front toes meet.

Mom:
20220421_114355.jpg

Dad:
IMG_0832.JPG

Chick:
20220428_143414.jpg

I'll post more pictures tomorrow probably when it's dry. I won't open the incubator again today so thats my only picture. I wouldn't want to kill the pipped ones. The 3 light eggs in there are also from the same roo and one of my 3 black hens and I have 1 egg from the same roo and a different hen named Luna.

I know that this chick is from Misty's egg becouse when I was collecting eggs I wrote Misty's name on it because I saw her lay the egg.

Could this chick actually be from the parents or did I somehow confuse it for a bantam brahma egg? That is very unlikely becouse my brahma lays different eggs from my silkies and the egg even had Misty's name on it.

Last edited:
Both parents could be carrying recessive white, which only shows with two Copies. Meaning the parents are split for recessive white.

Better to wait until the chick is all fluffed up, & dry to see true color though.

Test breeding the parents again will also determine whether it is recessive white also if another one pops up.

No, your roo and definitely one, possibly both the hens are carrying the recessive white. :)
Well, I guess my roo definitely is. Now I know Misty (mom of the 1st chick) carries recessive white and if the 2nd chick wasn't Misty's than another hen also does. I'll have to see what Luna's chick will look like. (I don't know if this sounds a bit complicated. I have 3 silkie hens - Misty, Luna and Sarah) Maybe even all my hens could carry it. They all come from one place. Maybe it just didn't show up on the back chick that hatched last week?

Well, I guess my roo definitely is. Now I know Misty (mom of the 1st chick) carries recessive white and if the 2nd chick wasn't Misty's than another hen also does. I'll have to see what Luna's chick will look like. (I don't know if this sounds a bit complicated. I have 3 silkie hens - Misty, Luna and Sarah) Maybe even all my hens could carry it. They all come from one place. Maybe it just didn't show up on the back chick that hatched last week?
That's what's fun about genetics, it's that sometimes you never know what's going to pop up.

I'm positive I accidentally posted this in the wrong spot so feel free to move it to somewhere more fitting.

A silkie chick just hatched. I know who both parents are. Mom is my broody hen Misty (black silkie) and dad is Fluffy (black silkie roo with slight silver leakage in his neck). Chick is blonde with a couple darker orange spots on the bottom of its neck (at least I thought so. The chick is still wet.) I can tell the skin is black so it's definitely a silkie. My theory is that my roo might have some white silkies in him. And the silver leakage of course. If I'm not mistaken the lady I got my roo from said she had like 2 white silkie hens along with black silkies. I also think she has cuckoos but I think they live separately.
At first I thought the chick that hatched was my 2nd bantam brahma × silkie mix (I already hatched one last week) but then I noticed the brahma egg had only pipped (dark spotty egg). So is this possible that the parents might have some lighter colored silkies in their family tree? This is so weird becouse the other chick that hatched from my roo and one of 3 black hens is solid black.

Also the same blonde chick has super thick legs and the comb already looks kinda raised despite I being only a few hours old. Could that mean rooster? I swear the feet were nearly 1cm thick in the place where all front toes meet.

Mom:
View attachment 3082802

Dad:
View attachment 3082804

Chick:
View attachment 3082806

I'll post more pictures tomorrow probably when it's dry. I won't open the incubator again today so thats my only picture. I wouldn't want to kill the pipped ones. The 3 light eggs in there are also from the same roo and one of my 3 black hens and I have 1 egg from the same roo and a different hen named Luna.

I know that this chick is from Misty's egg becouse when I was collecting eggs I wrote Misty's name on it because I saw her lay the egg.

Could this chick actually be from the parents or did I somehow confuse it for a bantam brahma egg? That is very unlikely becouse my brahma lays different eggs from my silkies and the egg even had Misty's name on it.
The mom cheated obviously- 😅😅 Haha but they probably have some white colors in their genes. From a mom,dad,grandpa,grandma etc

So all but 1 egg have hatched so far. 2 silkies are white and 2 are black. The one Luna's egg hatched is black. (The bantam brahma and silkie mix also hatched. It looks just like the older one from the same parents right now).

This was really interesting as I was not expecting my roo or any of my hens to be hiding such a thing in their genetics. Although now if my older dominant white chick turns out being a hen I probably wouldn't get paint chicks from her and a roo that carries recessive white, would I? Would I need to get a solid black roo with no leakage and all black birds in his family to get paint chicks from them?

Back
Top Bottom