partially hatched chickens....

jkteacher

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 31, 2017
We're back to hatching chickens again in our classroom. I have a few that have started but haven't seen any movement or change all day. The humidity has dropped to 54 since I opened the incubator. Can I add more water or is it too late? In the future, how long should/can I leave the chickens in the incubator before moving them to the brooder? It seems that every year I have some that start to hatch but don't finish and I'm worried that affect the success rate when opening the incubator to let the chickens out.
Thanks!

We're back to hatching chickens again in our classroom. I have a few that have started but haven't seen any movement or change all day.
Don't be inpatient. Sometimes it takes 24 hours or more for them to zip after they pip.

The humidity has dropped to 54 since I opened the incubator. Can I add more water or is it too late?
The way I add water without opening the incubator is to get some accordion straws and cut and tape them together so I can go in though a vent hole to reach any water reservoir. I use a syringe to put water in the straw.

In the future, how long should/can I leave the chickens in the incubator before moving them to the brooder?
The chicks can survive over 72 hours after hatch without eating or drinking because they absorb the yolk. That's why they can be mailed. So you have at least 72 hours after hatch to remove it.

OK - We had a late bloomer today. Poor little guy is very exhausted and it appears the shell is stuck to its bottom. Not yet able to stand. Hoping he'll be better/stronger in the morning but if not -any thoughts? Do we help him get the shell off?

Back
Top Bottom