Partridge Olive Egger

Chickie Newbie

Chirping
Jun 22, 2015
Tucson, AZ
Hi all, I saw that MPC has a new offering, a partridge olive egger. I am looking for a bird that lays a dark army green egg. Is anyone here familiar with this type of olive egger? They say they lay vivid color eggs, but only in a medium size.

Since they are a new variety this year and they don't reveal the mix behind them, you will probably have to try them out and see, or wait a year and hope someone has a review about them. My single olive egger from their hatching eggs from last year finally began laying about 2 weeks ago. Mine resembles a blue splash Maran. Her eggs vary between dark green and gray.

The little pinkish egg is from my bantam cochins or one of my bantam cochin and d'uccle mix. It is exciting getting all kinds of eggs. I saw My Pet Chicken also has black olive egger hatching eggs which I would have tried except I'm trying their heritage Orpingtons. Maybe next year.

I just ordered a partridge olive egger minutes ago from MPC! (It must have been a cancellation because they're always sold out.) I'm so excited. The lady I talked to was very knowledgeable about all the other birds I ordered except for her, although she did say that some of her coworkers have them and like them very much. It's just such a new breed. If anyone has one, I would be very interested to hear about their personalities, etc.

Since they are new you will have to share how it works out. I would assume they use partridge penedesenca in the mix. Cool.

I wasn't familiar with that breed and just read up on them. Yes, that definitely makes sense. Thanks for your input. I will keep you posted over time.
smile.png

Since they are new you will have to share how it works out. I would assume they use partridge penedesenca in the mix. Cool.

Not necessarily, Welsummers are partridge and are much more common. Welsummer X Legbar would give you a Partridge OE. I use Legbars and Welbars to produce autosexing OE's that are Crele, which is just Partridge with barring added.

I love that Crele look. I'm learning so much, and your Welbars are fascinating. Good luck with your breeding program. I live in the city, but would love to have the space to try something like that.

I just ordered a partridge olive egger minutes ago from MPC! (It must have been a cancellation because they're always sold out.) I'm so excited. The lady I talked to was very knowledgeable about all the other birds I ordered except for her, although she did say that some of her coworkers have them and like them very much. It's just such a new breed. If anyone has one, I would be very interested to hear about their personalities, etc.
'Partridge' is a color pattern, looks like that is explained on their page, many different breeds have that plumage pattern.
Olive eggers are not a 'breed' but a cross.
Personality is not breed specific anyway, you'll have to wait and see what your individual birds demeanor's are like.
Chicken 'friendliness' can have more to do with how they are handled than anything else, tho some birds are just skittish.

Back
Top Bottom