Partridge silkie hen with other color roos

motherofazoo

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 8, 2015
Tracy, CA
Hello, I spent a bit to get some quality silkie chicks and ended up with 1 partridge hen and 4 roos(buff, blue, black, and partridge). I cant keep roos long term, but was thinking I'd breed them to try and get some more hens. The partridge roo and black roo have small beak issues so I'm thinking I should rehome those. Should I only pick one roo to breed with the hen? Is there any way to know what colors I will end up with if I breed partridge to blue, or partridge to buff? Should I keep both roos and breed at seperate times or let them house together and just see what I get? Or will the roos begin fighting over the hen? I've only hatched eggs once when we kept a roo a little too long, so this is all new to me.

Hello, I spent a bit to get some quality silkie chicks and ended up with 1 partridge hen and 4 roos(buff, blue, black, and partridge). I cant keep roos long term, but was thinking I'd breed them to try and get some more hens. The partridge roo and black roo have small beak issues so I'm thinking I should rehome those. Should I only pick one roo to breed with the hen? Is there any way to know what colors I will end up with if I breed partridge to blue, or partridge to buff? Should I keep both roos and breed at seperate times or let them house together and just see what I get? Or will the roos begin fighting over the hen? I've only hatched eggs once when we kept a roo a little too long, so this is all new to me.
You could breed her to each roo, without beak issues, but one at a time so she's not over bred, or have fighting boys. This will give more color/pattern possibilities.
You could also just breed her to a favorite roo, & not use the rest.

You got many options here.

You could breed her to each roo, without beak issues, but one at a time so she's not over bred, or have fighting boys. This will give more color/pattern possibilities.
You could also just breed her to a favorite roo, & not use the rest.

You got many options here.
Thank you. Should I just keep her housed with one roo? Or would that be too much for her since she's the only hen? If only housed together for breeding and seperating, how long should they be together? If we do both roos in turn will she use both males for fertilizing eggs? Sorry I'm completely new at this. I've always gotten rid of roos, and only hatched eggs when we accidentally waited too long and realized one hen had started laying the day we got rid of a roo.

Thank you. Should I just keep her housed with one roo? Or would that be too much for her since she's the only hen? If only housed together for breeding and seperating, how long should they be together? If we do both roos in turn will she use both males for fertilizing eggs? Sorry I'm completely new at this. I've always gotten rid of roos, and only hatched eggs when we accidentally waited too long and realized one hen had started laying the day we got rid of a roo.
You can keep a pair, 1 hen to one roo. Just keep the most gentle boy with her. Once you have more ladies, you can add them.

3-4 days, together if action hasn't been first noticed, extend the pairing time an extra day, or two.

She probably will use both roos, for fertilizing eggs. But if she don't like a particular roo, she can reject the sperm.

Back
Top Bottom