Partridge Silkie

trkcChick

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 19, 2009
Culloden, GA
I got some eggs from someone and I got some that were BBS and some that were White. But I got 3 really cute Partridge out of them also. How did that happen? Is it normal to get Partridge out either of these.
43205_01_13_10_5510.jpg

43205_01_13_10_5494.jpg

43205_01_13_10_5492.jpg

Looks like someone snuck though the fence.....most likely a partridge rooster:)

No it's not normal to get partridge from Blue, Black and Splash.....

Shari

Last edited:
I get some really nice partridge and greys out of my whites. Unless your whites are homozygous, they can throw whatever color is hiding in their background.

Edited to add that there can be no pen jumping at my farm. I don't own a partridge or grey silkie. These chicks are coming out of the eggs marked from only the white pens.

Last edited:
Quote:
hmmmm..... they have to be homozygous to appear white... no way you can turn out any other colour if the stocks are both white (rec) unless they're dominant white...

If you really want to get into silkie genetics, there is also a separate "dominant white" gene. Its not near as common... I'm sure Sonoran can give you the rundown on more details if you are interested.

To put it simply, if you cross a white silkie to any other color the results are unpredictable unless you know exactly what that particular bird has for genes hiding behind that white. When you cross 2 whites that are heterozygous you will get colored birds about 25% of the time out of them.

Quote:
oh right... I thought you said you get coloured out of your "whites" which I assumed you get coloured out of white cock/ white hen pairing....

Back
Top Bottom