Pastel quail genes

Diggypup

In the Brooder
Feb 18, 2022
I just started working with quail this year and i am practicing the quail genetics but i can't figure out how the pastel gene works. Some people say it cannot be created and i heard some say it is made mostly of the fee gene with silver gene.
I have a quail that im told is red range but how can you tell the difference between roux and pastel or are they the same but come with variations of hue? Or maybe silver varients that ended up being super light colored on different color types?
Any help on this would be amazing, thank you.

Fee and silver are commonly genes that are part of or found in the German pastel collection. It also includes other colors like Blau and lavender. There’s no pastel gene, it’s a collection of colors, many are diluted by fee but I’m pretty certain that schofield silver doesn’t really belong in GPC any more, because the silver (SSC) gene causes a lot of issues, and many people don’t want to breed it into their stock. A red range with one copy of fee will be lighter than a normal red range, and two copies of fee make it more like a pale orange or cremecicle type color. If you have SSC and GPC intermingled, you can’t tell for sure who has silver because sometimes the colors will look similar with the 2 different dilution genes of fee and silver, this is one of the reason why Myshire videos tell you not to make sex links from birds carrying silver because it makes the results confusing.

Roux is the gene that causes red. Fee and silver can both lighten this red, but the bird is still roux, and that roux can be modified by dilution genes. Roux is not as strongly affected as brown. A regular pharaoh bird with 2 copies of fee will lose all brown color and be nearly completely black and white. Roux doesn’t dilute like brown, and even with 2 copies of fee that roux will be pale orange at best.

Fee and silver are commonly genes that are part of or found in the German pastel collection. It also includes other colors like Blau and lavender. There’s no pastel gene, it’s a collection of colors, many are diluted by fee but I’m pretty certain that schofield silver doesn’t really belong in GPC any more, because the silver (SSC) gene causes a lot of issues, and many people don’t want to breed it into their stock. A red range with one copy of fee will be lighter than a normal red range, and two copies of fee make it more like a pale orange or cremecicle type color. If you have SSC and GPC intermingled, you can’t tell for sure who has silver because sometimes the colors will look similar with the 2 different dilution genes of fee and silver, this is one of the reason why Myshire videos tell you not to make sex links from birds carrying silver because it makes the results confusing.

Roux is the gene that causes red. Fee and silver can both lighten this red, but the bird is still roux, and that roux can be modified by dilution genes. Roux is not as strongly affected as brown. A regular pharaoh bird with 2 copies of fee will lose all brown color and be nearly completely black and white. Roux doesn’t dilute like brown, and even with 2 copies of fee that roux will be pale orange at best.
Thank you, all the information is very helpful. I did watch a few myshire/coturnix corner videos and definitly don't want to breed those together or ssc with ssc too much and cause problems. I will be selling eggs and birds to people in my small town nothing too crazy but trying to have it mostly figured out incase people have questions.

So fee and silver are found in the collection but dont have to be included and are not the reason behind it being pastel meaning it is just like SSC where lavendar and blau are all just the collection of one bird but comes out as many colors?

Thank you, all the information is very helpful. I did watch a few myshire/coturnix corner videos and definitly don't want to breed those together or ssc with ssc too much and cause problems. I will be selling eggs and birds to people in my small town nothing too crazy but trying to have it mostly figured out incase people have questions.

So fee and silver are found in the collection but dont have to be included and are not the reason behind it being pastel meaning it is just like SSC where lavendar and blau are all just the collection of one bird but comes out as many colors?
Silver and fee are dilution genes, so they dilute other colors. Lavender and Blau are colors.

Back
Top Bottom