Pasty butt help - best way to remove?

proudmama88

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
Central Kentucky
My husband ordered 25 chicks from McMurray last Wednesday, and my free rare chick - white Polish - has pasty butt!

I was expecting to get them between Monday the 21st and Wednesday the 23rd, but the sorter at the post office called me this morning at 8am and said congratulations, my new chicks were waiting for me at the post office! I was so surprised. I raced down to get them and I carefully inspected each one when we got home.

The white Polish is the only one with any pasty butt. All others are fine, no pasty butt, chirping, very healthy, energetic. The white Polish seems otherwise sprightly and healthy himself but this pasty butt is really worrying me. It seems there is a lot.

I don't want to hurt him but I don't want to lose him, either (I say "him" because this is my third hatchery order and both the other free rare chicks I've gotten were roo's, so I'm just expecting this little one to be a roo as well). I would be absolutely heartbroken if this little one were to pass away! Please tell me the best way to get rid of pasty butt - I've never dealt with it before, surprisingly enough. My other two sets of hatchery chicks were just fine upon arrival and never experienced it.

I read sometimes a shallow dish with luke warm water....I tried it on one of my healthy chicks and worked like a charm. Basically "sit" their rump in the water and it should loosen.

Last edited:
warm water and paper towel is what I do. did you put sugar in their water?? they will outgrow it, as long as the pasty but isn't preventing them from pooping.

Use a wet warm paper towel to clean p.butt. very gently, Then take a Q-tip and put a dab of hydrocortozone cream on the butt 2-4 times a day for about a week.Its works for me.
smile.png

Quote:
usually stress from shipping, not drinking enough water.

That would explain why I lost some that had pasty butt!

thats why I put a little sugar in the water and dip their beaks in the water first. also make sure if you have lots of chicks you have more than one waterer.

Back
Top Bottom