Pasty Butt vs a Little Poop on the Behind

Strong Bad

Songster
Feb 11, 2023
New Jersey
Hello!

I’m in love with love with my baby chicks. They came through the mail Friday morning & are doing super well. They are so curious, stinkin’ adorable & plain silly! Been having so much fun!!

I had two definite pasty butts on Saturday and another one today. But there’s a few with just a tad of poop on the butt. Those ones are able to poop and appear to look like “skid marks”. I don’t want to put those ones through the stress of removing it unless it’s truly considered pasty butt. So my question is, is there a difference between pasty butt & just a little poop on the behind?

Btw, there’s plenty of space thanks to Costco’s big produce box, heating is just right with areas to cool down, chick feed available and water. My hutch is that going through the mail put them through stress.

Thank you for your input. BYC is a stellar community!

Attachments

• IMG_4647.jpeg
    IMG_4647.jpeg
    676 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_4648.jpeg
    IMG_4648.jpeg
    596.7 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_4730.jpeg
    IMG_4730.jpeg
    596.7 KB · Views: 46
I don’t quite know the answe to your question but I do know how you can help it. There will always be chicks that have that, the most important thing is to get it off. Take a washcloth and put warm water on it. Then gently rub all around where the poop is till it comes of. Then dry their butts off. It’s important to do this before it builds up more and more and becomes a problem. I hope this helps! Best of luck to you and your chicks!

Thank you. I just did a cleaning and everyone's behinds look great. I also gave a little Save-A-Chick Electrolyte too. Don't know if that is helpful. The vaseline is something I didn't think of. Next time!

Will pasty butt be a thing, or is it just temporarly?

Thank you. I just did a cleaning and everyone's behinds look great. I also gave a little Save-A-Chick Electrolyte too. Don't know if that is helpful. The vaseline is something I didn't think of. Next time!

Will pasty butt be a thing, or is it just temporarly?
Good question! Pasty butt if relative to stress should be temporary. If not temporary then you know it's likely relative to heat. I brood on the cooler side, starting in the *80's not 90-100 and I've never had to deal with pasty butt. Instead I know what you're talking about with just a little poo. I just watch that very closely and it always goes away. A build up is a different issue and its not going to build up if there is no problem. I am hesitant to break into action washing and rubbing when it's just a tiny poo piece not directly blocking the vent. I might give it a tiny pinch to see if it will just crumble off, but that's about it. Hoping you're issue is indeed temporary! :) 💜

I have some castor oil laxative I use for rubbing on wood cutting boards. Will a tiny bit of that on the butt help with the poo?
In all my years I've never had to resort to this. Doesn't mean it doesn't work though. If you have a re-occurring pasty butt problem, then what do you think is the root cause? As a one time thing, just gentle warm water should be enough for a baby chick. But what is going on.... ??

In all my years I've never had to resort to this. Doesn't mean it doesn't work though. If you have a re-occurring pasty butt problem, then what do you think is the root cause? As a one time thing, just gentle warm water should be enough for a baby chick. But what is going on.... ??
🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Only one has this issue the other 3 are fine so far. I have zero idea why.

Back
Top Bottom