Pasty Butt-lost one chick- Help ASAP

IonaFarm

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 13, 2010
We had 3 bantam chicks born Thurs/Fri. Were doing fine with momma. These are the first chicks born here.

Yesterday one had a pasty butt so I cleaned it off carefully and put back with mom. Went out a few minutes ago and the little thing was dead.

Another little one has same thing. Used warm water and it cleaned up easy. I put this one back with mom.

Questions: What is it ? What causes it? How do I keep from losing the other two chicks?

After you clean them, put some ointment like Vaseline or Neosporin on the butt so the next poop won't stick so bad, and keep them greased for a few days til they get over it. And good luck.

If you dont have neosporin,or vasoline,there is a trick and it might seem mean but it will cure it til they get bigger.

When you clean the pasty but,try to pluck the fine feathery hairs off as well.they will only have a red but for some time,but we done it here and we have no problems after the pasty but left.they didnt have it no more because they didnt have a place for their droppings to stick to.

lau.gif

When the poop sticks to their bums and dries, it creates a seal. This prevents the poop from coming out, and eventually toxins build up in them.

You can carefully trim some of the fuzz from their butts, then put some olive oil or vaseline as someone suggested, on the area to help keep the poop from sticking. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom