Pavo Muticus and it's subspecies vs. Spaldings, How to tell them apart.

Midnightman14

Crowing
7 Years
May 23, 2016
Central WI
I had posted this on other peafowl pages but I thought I'd share it here as well. There is alot of confusion as to what constitutes a pure muticus bird versus what a high percentage spalding bird looks like. Here are some tips

1. Green peafowl do not come in any of the colors or patterns you see in the IB birds so if someone is trying to sell you a "purple java" or "java white" they're likely trying to swindle you.

2. Emerald spalding, java spalding, and peridot spalding are all just terms used to describe the percentage of green blood in a spalding bird. They are not very reliable since spaldings are hybrids and can vary widely in appearance even if they have the same parents.

3. In a pure green the neck feathers will be scalloped and look almost like scales on a fish. This is a dead giveaway on most spaldings since they often do not show this trait.

4 There should be no bright blue anywhere on the head or neck if there is it is a spalding.

5. Pure greens have much narrower faces than blues and have a yellow face rather than white. This is another tell on spalding birds since the face often shows white in them.

6. The crest on a pure green should be almost a tuft and is tilted forward. If the crest is fan shaped it is a spalding.

7. The legs on a green are much longer than an IB and their body shape is much leaner.

8. No true green breeder will ever sell eggs. If someone offers to sell you some they are likely trying to rip you off.

Photos below are some that have helped me a great deal on IDing green peafowl. All pictures are property of their respective owners I own none of them.

The name of Java Peafowl for Pavo muticus or for the green peacock come from the time when the Dutch had the island of Java as a colony.

Back
Top Bottom